Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January Entry : Port Maglie Waterfront

Guild Journeyer

I had teh same issues with Gimp it happens when something interupts the save process. Only those layers were saved when it crashes and it total overrights the file. Try multi save points also do not forget to periodically clear the history cache to keep the program from hogging up to much memory. ido a lot of my stuff on a crappy computer that requires me to keep it below 100 mb for optimal funcionality.

Wip

Where do you clear the history in Gimp, I'm not seeing it.

We have a storm of historic proportions going on here in Arizona right now. Our power was out all night last night until around 3am. The streets are full of water and more rain is supposedly coming. Obviously, I didn't get any work done on this. Since the storm is not over and I've got to head out for work, I'm going to post what I have done for now, just in case I don't get another chance.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PortMagMarket2.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	21316  
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Ah, that's good stuff to know. Thanks for pointing me in the right place. I think this will be very useful. It might cut down on some of those laggy issues I get working for an hour or so.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Added a bunch of vendor stands and finished off the rest of the buildings...I think. It's starting to look more like a busy market but it needs a lot more stuff. It takes forever adding in all these details. I don't think that zoomed even shows all the little stuff I created so I'm not sure about that...I know there is a lesson in there somewhere but I'm not sure what it is yet

I hope to redo the map edges, show the larger map this fits into and maybe kick up some texture beneath the beach but I'm not sure if I will get to it.

Anyway, any last minute suggestions, even if they are only good for my next map?

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	57 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	21344  

Just to make sure everyone knows what I'm trying to do.

While I'm still working on mine does this format and scale indicator fulfill the needs of the challenge or am I missing something? Sorry, this is actually my first challenge of any kind here

Name:	Witchlight_Strand.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	21388   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port_Magalie.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	21389   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	57 
Size:	4.44 MB 
ID:	21390  

Blog Entries

Your cool with your entry scale because it was taken from a region capture from Port Magalie which has a scale. Some of the entries are towns which have never been mapped or marked on the map and so have a variable scale with certain limits.

A few color modifications and some lines in the sea. Added street lamps and a few more odds N ends. Placed a bunch of barrels on the docks. Looking forward to the end to be honest I still need to create some kind of a map-edge frame type deal.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PortMagMarket3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	21424  

I added some trees and a sort of border. Unless I see something else or get hit by lightning I think this might be it.

I now know why people try to use the Mosaic filter to create buildings. I did try it for a few of my vendor stands but mainly just kept making them by hand or cloning/rotating/recoloring. I though the Mosaic just looked too uniform otherwise.

I did get a pretty good routine down for making roof tops but it's still time consuming. Maybe someday I'll get into the script area and put a little code together to automate it.

Next time I enter a challenge I think I'll shoot for something small and just do the best job I can on it. I learned a lot banging away on GIMP, not the least of which is that I hate drawing with a mouse! I can't wait to get a tablet. Only problem is I'm a pen bigot = I hate crappy writing utensils so I hope I like the feel of it once I have it.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PortMagMarket3.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.75 MB 
ID:	21448  

It's like a sickness and I can't stop...somebody save me!

I figured it might be good to have the reference on the map so I put a miniature in the corner and labeled it. I might have done something else but it eludes me at this time...I've got to stop! LOL

I just realized also that my thread title is wrong, it's Port MagAlie not Maglie. At least that's what I have on my map now...hope that's right

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	PortMagMarket3.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	454.0 KB 
ID:	21452  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast