Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction

Guild Applicant

Post Introduction

Hi All,

I'm just another one of those poor Fantasy Role playing souls who gets the job of creating all the adventures and settings.

My friends and I are just getting back into the gaming after a 10 or so year break and I found this forum and thought it might help.

Mainly interested in seeing what everyone else is doing to create maps, and where appropriate borrowing from other peoples imaginations and ideas.

Thanks for reading.

Guild Journeyer

hi, mfm!

im new here too, as you can see.
    theres a tutorial on some programs, and i think it depends on the kind of maps you are looking to do.

myself, im in "old school" maps, so i used yeasterday the Dungeon Crafter, a very simple "point and click" program, but it does not make a "realistic map", but those like this:

about dungeon crafter, i found this version very good:
    http://beholdercego.blogspot.com/200...after-141.html

and at Dragonsfoot web site, you can downlaod the old school blue pattern.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1OldSchoolMapa.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	19996  
    Last edited by ravells; 01-04-2010 at 05:29 PM.

Post Not my thing...

While I know there's a certain nostalgia for "old school maps", and many people here love them. I've always been kind of "meh" with old school style. To me it meant publishers who weren't artists and didn't realize they could find artists to do them (plus they didn't have the extra money to pay for quality art) created these maps for themselves. Thus they were only adequate and non-artistic.

Been playing D&D and related games since 1977 and I've always thought of old school maps as inferior. So even back in the old days, I was creating maps for all our home brew adventures.

Advance to the current date, and this site's existence - the idea that someone would prefer to create an old school map. To me only, I think those who want old school maps are out of touch. Just my opinion. You won't find to many tutorials for making them, not here anyway.

This doesn't mean B/W maps, just maps that looked like it was generated by a random dungeon generator.

I'm not a old school fan, not at all.

GP

PS: unless asked for by the original thread poster, posting a map in someone else's intro thread is kind of rude.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-02-2010 at 09:08 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Guild Journeyer

Gamerprinter, tahts the beauty of it: we have so many stiles that i think its impossible to not find one that pleases one self.

in the early eages, gary gygax would do the monster pictures by himself! lucky of him he doenst made his life as a illustrator,

ps: sorry, i didnt knew about the map rule. i thought it would be ok to ilustrate my point, and it would be helpful to someone who wants to learn more about maps, like myself
    Last edited by rossik; 01-02-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: ps

Me, I LOVE the Old School! Kudos!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!

Love that 'old-school' look!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

Thanks Guys,

I am also a fan of the old school look. It may not be pretty but its quick easy and serves its purpose well.(usually) The purpose being simply to show where everything lies in respective to everything else.

For maps to show to characters then something that looks good is more important.

I will take the advice and spend some time looking through the tutorials.

Cheers

Blog Entries

Welcome - to the both of you. Hope to see some of your maps too mfm.

Great to have you here, mfm! Looking forward to seeing your maps!

rossik: Don't worry about posting your map in the thread - I can see what GP means, but there is no hard and fast rule, but please make use of the super duper Cartographer's Guild Thumbnail feature! To thumbnail a map, click, 'Go Advanced' and then scroll down to the 'manage attachments' button. You can upload your map directly to the site and it will automatically be thumbnailed. I've edited your post to do this.

Cheers!

Ravs

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Great to have you here, mfm! Looking forward to seeing your maps!

rossik: Don't worry about posting your map in the thread - I can see what GP means, but there is no hard and fast rule, but please make use of the super duper Cartographer's Guild Thumbnail feature! To thumbnail a map, click, 'Go Advanced' and then scroll down to the 'manage attachments' button. You can upload your map directly to the site and it will automatically be thumbnailed. I've edited your post to do this.

Cheers!

Ravs

thanks a lot, friend! i was wondering how to do this. and i bet mfm found it useful too ^_^

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast