Thread: New Campaign Regional Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Wip New Campaign Regional Map

Hi All,

Let me start by thanking those who have helped me over the past couple of days to learn how to use CS2 to make maps !

Ive attached the map im now going to be using to develop into my new D&D campaign area.

The map still has a lot of work needed on it. e.g. text, variation in terrain etc. But id appreciate any additional suggestions and advice people can give. I'd really like to add a nice map border does anyone have any good tutorials ?

Regards

Roger

PS any ideas re scale bars ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New CS2 Map.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	19959  
    Last edited by nichollsr; 01-03-2010 at 04:12 AM.

Guild Member

Hi Folks,

Minor update based on some advice from messages via PM.

Name:	New CS2 Map.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	19989  

Your road doesn't look like it would follow a "least effort" principle. It's too "smoothed". I would expect it to wander along the valley and head for the "far river" and follow it down to the other city. Roads tended to follow rivers, its easier to maintain the horses with grass growing by the river and easy to water them as well.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    Your road doesn't look like it would follow a "least effort" principle. It's too "smoothed". I would expect it to wander along the valley and head for the "far river" and follow it down to the other city. Roads tended to follow rivers, its easier to maintain the horses with grass growing by the river and easy to water them as well.
    I think i understand what you mean but just to be sure.

The road heads north of the main river up the valley and crosses the main river just south of the forest. Then i guess it follows the forest line a little before finally cutting 'south east' down into the city. Is that right ?

Guild Member

Hi Folks,

I'd like to start by thanking everyone for the help ive received on this map to date. Id especially like to thank Ascension for taking me through creating scale bars - much appreciated sir !

Over the past few days i've hopefully learned some of the basics of making a map using CS2 - this is the first one ive made from start to "finish" apart from the two trial runs i did at the end of last week. Hopefully its not too bad !

Anyway as always id like feedback and recommendations from the wider group on the map below.

Thanks and regards...

Name:	The Dales copy.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	20125  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The only thing I find odd is the vivid water color but that's native to the tut. I'd go with something lighter, maybe a bit o gray in there and green too. I think he uses a pattern for the water so maybe add a color overlay of white and set the blend mode of that to soft light then turn down the opacity if you want. But that's just my two cents.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    The only thing I find odd is the vivid water color but that's native to the tut. I'd go with something lighter, maybe a bit o gray in there and green too. I think he uses a pattern for the water so maybe add a color overlay of white and set the blend mode of that to soft light then turn down the opacity if you want. But that's just my two cents.
    Is this better (taking your advice !)

Name:	The Dales copy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	20126  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think this is pretty darn good, especially if your just getting the hang of PS.

The water color is the latest version is much better (at least for me), my only real criticism is the mountains still seem a bit flat.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Thanks for the info Steel General. It is indeed my first full 'start to finish' CS2 map so im quite pleased with it. I will take a look at the mountains and see what i can do. Any suggestions to make them more rugged etc ?