Thread: My first (hopefully good) regional maps

Post My first (hopefully good) regional maps

Hi guys. I joined a few days ago, and since then have basically been doing nothing but reading everything in the tutorial forum about how to use GIMP, and I thought I'd post some practice maps I've made for criticism, comments, etc. My concern is primarily with the mountains, and whether they themselves look realistic, natural or whatever other adjectives you can use to basically mean "alright," but please, feel free to comment on anything.

For what you see here, I used elements of RobA's tutorial here, particularly for the water, kjdavies' tutorial here, with some modifications for the mountains. Rep and thanks for both of you, and probably for quite a few more tutorial authors soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	403.8 KB 
ID:	20070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains2.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	716.1 KB 
ID:	20072   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains3.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	581.3 KB 
ID:	20074  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Looks good. I like your colour palette - nothing too lurid As for the mountains - that's a subject that could fill a book. I guess that if you've been browsing the tutorials you've seen the large number of tutorials devoted to mountains on there. In your case they look like a great start. However mountains are greatly influenced by erosion patterns and yours are very jagged and new. I'd expect the erosion to have created a few well defined spines to the mountains rather than the overall collection of peaks that you have. I think it's Clercon who did a great mountain tutorial on creating proper mountain ranges. Certainly worth checking out.

However for a few days reading this is an excellent first set of maps. Well done indeed, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Nice mate i like the Look so far
    i have found Mountains are hard i cant get them to work yet lol