Thread: New guy has introductions and some questions.

Question New guy has introductions and some questions.

Hello, everybody.

I recently found this place via the CBG, and have been browsing around your forums all afternoon. I like this place, and I think I am starting to work past my "dearie me, they're so talented!" intimidation phase enough to actually participate.

I think most of my work does fit more comfortably in the purview of the CBG, but I've got a couple of maps, too. I need to get busy about improving them and making a few more. I could definitely use a little help in the way of tips and ruthless criticism.

I've been drawing things with ink on graph paper, scanning them, and editing them digitally, still keeping a very "by hand" look to the whole thing. I don't know if this is an efficient or effective way of mapmaking or not, because I'm making it all up as I go along.

Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a "how to do hand-drawn maps" thread or subforum or anything, so there's apparently no good place for me to just sidle in with a question. Am I missing something? Should I just throw down a thread in the WIP forum, post some maps, and let the pros show me how it's done?

Welcome!

The method by which you say you do you maps sounds like the way everyone does it ere, including the professionals! I do it, though currently 99% of the maps I have posted here are all old Pne-n-Paper maps from my youth.

By all means, post a few of you WIP and step on up.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Hi Luminous Crayon. The best way would be just to post them and ask for C&Cs. As Neon Knight says, scanning hand drawn work and finishing it off on the computer is a very popular method of producing maps - so you're in good company!

Looking forward to seeing your work!

Ravs

Welcome aboard LC (can I call you LC?)

Love the avatar.

-Rob (gotta find the time to draw an avatar) A>

Welcome Crayon! (Or should I just call you Luminous?)

Can't wait to see your postings!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

First two maps are posted. I thought I'd put them in a more appropriate subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Welcome aboard LC (can I call you LC?)

Love the avatar.

-Rob (gotta find the time to draw an avatar) A>
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Welcome Crayon! (Or should I just call you Luminous?)

Can't wait to see your postings!
    They tend to call me Luminous or LC at the Campaign Builders' Guild, but Crayon works, too.

Guild Member

Howdy!
    You know... I have never even thought about transfering all those hundreds of 'pre-computer' maps I have
    Now I have all that work to be thinking about
    Crap, I need to quit my day job...

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes post away...by no means is this a digital only mapping site...due to the nature of the media the site exists on, most of the content is digitally created, but by no means is that the limits...I used to have the site set up with an emphasis on digital maps, but now the only place digital maps are kinda required is in the software discussion forum...everythign else is mapping in general in all of its beautiful forms.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Default I can scan your maps

Quote Originally Posted by Richardb View Post
    Howdy!
    You know... I have never even thought about transfering all those hundreds of 'pre-computer' maps I have
    Now I have all that work to be thinking about
    Crap, I need to quit my day job...
    Richard in addition to printing I have 2 large format b/w scanners and an 18 x 24 color scanner - people have sent me they're hand-drawm maps for me to scan and/or digitize. Just ship your maps in a box or tube, we'll go from there.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations