Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2010 Entry: City of Tyrborg

I am totally in awe (and envy) as always over your ISO maps. I would love to be able to do this with my Haibianr map. Have to practice this style someday.
    M

hi all, I dropped the map into the overland map. last step would be color tuning, but I may not have the time to do it so this may be the final entry.

@gandwarf: no i'm just scribbling along as a hobbist, wish i could make a living out of it but tbh i think I need to be much much better to do that. But maybe after some more years of practise who knows

cheers

### Latest Wip ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyrborg-last06.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	356.4 KB 
ID:	21398  

Well making a living out of this stuff is hard and practice is always good. I think the quality of your work is already at a professional level, however. You make some amazing maps. I showed this map and The Lands of Sinisteria map to my wife and she was amazed as well. And she is very hard to please
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

thanks Gandwarf I think that's a great compliment, and of course -always- listen to your wife . This is the final entry for the challenge, did some color tuning and threw in some more pieces of scrolls and pencils. Anyway, I loved doing an ISO city and learned a lot cheers!

### Latest Wip ###

Name:	tyrborg-last07.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	21427  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

It's a great map!

I've got a few minor points (yes I know that you're done - sorry fr not chipping in earlier). I love the fact that it's on top f the regional map. Your shadows are a bit out though. The curled up edge of the city map is castig the same length of shadow as the flat paper - and the same applies for the regional map. You might want to extend the cast shadow there. The label - The City Of Tyborg - might benefit from a slight distort. The perfect lines of the text are a little counter to the hand drawn look, and the quill pen, that you're selling to the viewer. The same point applies to the red dot for Tyrborg on the regional map. That's a perfect circle and doesn't look like any ink in the world. I know that the intent is to make it very clear. However as it's both the most saturated colour in the image and has three separate lines focusing on it (the river, the coast and the pen) it draws the eye away from the city map consistently, unbalancing the image a little. Perhaps having this as an inked cross or just a free hand inked circle in a less saturated red would pull it back a bit.

Hope those are useful comments. I love the image, and the way you've presented it. I've been wondering about an iso city style and you've pulled off a beautiful example. Congratulations.

Thanks Torstan that was really usefull! Composition is hard and these are good pointers! so I had to do some changes ... Also desaturated/darkened the surroundings of the main map trying to pull in the eye... cheers

### Latest Wip ###

Name:	tyrborg-last08.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	21429  
    Last edited by Djekspek; 01-25-2010 at 10:19 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like that a lot. My eye is now drawn straight to the map, and I notice the regional map second - which I guess is the intent. Going down the same line of composition, the fact that the map is very tightly cropped arouund the top right feels a little claustrophobic. A little more of the mountains to the NE and E would help border the whole image and stop the eye sliding off the right hand side of the frame. This is exacerbated a little with the distance measure being a clear line that runs straight out of frame. However those are minor points. I like it a lot the way it is.

Really good work on the shadowing on the edges - the reduced shadow of the flat sections of parchment works really well. And good job on the text - that blends in nicely now.

Blog Entries

I think this is your finest work on this board to date. You have created a style that is unique and you alone are its master. I think it's time for a tutorial!

I think just by making this a slightly longer landscape image you could fill in the right hand side of your image, so the full distance bar can be shown and a bit more of the mountains, that should accomplish what Torstan was talking about and make a brilliant map extraordinary...

thanks again for the nice C&C! Ok, one more post just added a little part to the right. @Immolate: As for a tutorial, i already have been thinking about it but since i dont have some 'standard way' and usually start with something blank and start scribbling along, i'm not sure how to get it into descriptive steps. I will give it some more thought though and maybe i can come up with something. cheers

### Latest Wip ###

Name:	tyrborg-last11.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	21460  

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast