Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: January 2010 Entry: City of Tyrborg

Post January 2010 Entry: City of Tyrborg

Great price for this months competition so I'm in. I decided to go for an iso-mapped city. Wanted to give that a try for some time so why not in the challenge. I'll also create the larger scale regional map as a newly created map (hope that fits within the challenge rules...). Never really looked into exact scaling so I'm curious where this will take me... Anyway, here's the draft I made to give an idea what am aiming at... cheers

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2 copy.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	467.2 KB 
ID:	19977  

I love that total freehand look you have going on there.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Blog Entries

You have to create one entry which fits in with one or more existing maps already on the guild. The challenge is to fit your map into something else which ideally is someone elses map but we have established that it can be an existing map that you have made yourself but should be on the guild already.

thanks for explaining RedRobes. I was afraid that I got it wrong ... got all fired up and spend today making the overview map getting all excited about it ... well, guess I should go looking for a map that fits the oddball stuff in my head. there's many gems around here so I should be able to find some.

Hi all, somehow hard to find inspiration these days. But dont wanne quit!! ... i wanted to try out some iso city so might as well use this challenge for my experimenting, hoping something good pops up.

first i'm working on a way to do a fast quickstart to get a 3d-ish shape base before moving into details. So the map posted is not how the city is gonna look but just the first results of my headstart experiments. Although its pretty fast (took me about 20mins to make the 3d buildings) it is also pretty destructive so I need to have the base right before raising the thing. next try will be with proper building structures (for this i just used random blobs).

oh by the way, the city will be the port town of Tyrborg -area Qashya Mal- from the CWBP. cheers

ps. maybe one of the CL's could be so kind to rename the thread to '.. city of Tyrborg'. thx
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tyrborg3 copy.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	20237  

This is going to look nice, I think, BUT...I really like the thing you had going with the regional map and a callout showing the city in iso. Not sure if it's possible to do with your new map but I thought it looked cool. However you go with it I'm sure it'll be sharp!
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Using sketchup for the 3D blobs? Looks interesting so far.

Praise Yay - a Qashya Mal entry!

I look forward to this map, as its set within my khanate of Qashya Mal, I'd always hoped someone would do some more content in that land! Looking good so far!

Don't let this influence you, but I see Tyrborg as kind of a Grand Duchy of Moscow, Swede-like immigrants from somewhere in northwestern Asium have settled here and established a port to gain some of the wealth from the Grand City of Calishem, the western capital of the Khanate, and the terminus of both the Silk and Spice routes from the east. The viking like peoples of Tyrborg don't take well the foreigner ways of Calishem, however, they maintain their own culture in close proximity to Calishem, across the inland sea of Qashya Mal. The Khans lead the Mongol Hordes from across the endless steppes of Qashya Mal.

While Tyrborg is likened to Moscow, Calishem is like a cross between Baghdad, Constantinople and Samarkand.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-12-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

ah, so i have to give it a moscow-ish twist.. hmm.. will require some research ;D
    @torstan: its all PS with duplicated and shifted layers (bit faster then sketch-up).
    @mearrin: maybe i'll try to fit the city in the regional map like my 1st sketch, not sure yet how that will look but i'll give it a go i think

cheers

Post Early Russians were Swedes...

Your city design looks fine and proper as it is. When I say Moscow, I mean early Moscow, so very much more like a Norse viking city than a Slavic central eastern capital. The Varangian guards of Constantinople during the Byzanteum period were pure Swede vikings, not truly "Russians". While the Norse went into Europe, Iceland and perhaps North America, the Swedes went east into Russia.

You needn't change your city as it looks rather northern European in style already.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast