Thread: Creating an Island, how do I do this?

Help Creating an Island, how do I do this?

I want to create a small island, maybe about the size of the Falklands or a medium-sized Filipino Island, however, I can't find any tutorials on this, can someone help me? I see a lot of atlas style maps and city maps, but none for this purpose. Is there one I'm not seeing.

If this is in the wrong forum, sorry, this is the only place I thought it could go.

Most of the maps hereabouts are of islands. The only difference between an island and a continent as far as most of the tutorials here are concerned is the size of the largest number on the scale bar.

How do the maps here differ from your vision of an island map? That question is the first one you'll need to answer to get to your goal.

Well, the scaling of the mountains and rivers, and coastlines, none of them look right no matter how much I modify them. I've been using Ascension's atlas style map tutorial, and the mountains are a little too small for my tastes,

Try using Pasis' or Tear's mountain style, it give you more control on the size and epth of your mountains.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8086

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Thanks man, I'll look into those.

However, the second problem I have is creating a realistic looking beach ring.

Maybe I can help there, i try to do the same thing. My way makes a very small beach but maybe you could fiddle with it. Grab your land layer and add an outerglow, size 10, 100% opacity. Leave the default colour as it is. Then add a stroke, size 1 and use the same colour as in the outerglow. Can't remeber if the stroke was set to normal or screen.

Hope that helps.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Oooh, I got that to work. What I did was removed the shelf layer from the atlas style map, gave the outer glow a noise of 8, increased the spread to 20, and the size to 81. Then I blurred the edges some to ease the blend to the beaches more.

I'm going to work on the mountains next. I'll give you guys a final product.

Plus, I ended up leaving the original atlas style mountains in.
    Last edited by Vince Sixx; 01-04-2010 at 09:04 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Since you're using my tut here's what I do for larger looking mountains...simply increase the scale. Edit-transform-scale=200%. Then use a black airbrush and brush in some shadows...this really helps to give the mountains some height.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is a rough draft of the island.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Island.png 
Views:	263 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	19999  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

check out some of the battlefield 1942 maps if your in need of inspiration

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/...rs/maps_11.jpg