Thread: Deuteron

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Map Deuteron

I just whipped this map up to try and attempt an ancient parchment style map. I happen to have an old map of Scotland hanging on my wall that I have loved for many years and I felt my PS skills may be up to the task of emulating it. While I still have a good distance to go before I come close to the quality of the Scotland map I am quite happy with the way this one turned out.

Thanks to the Ascension and LonewandererD for pointing out the changes that needed to be made.

(The elements used in this map, discluding the artwork which was taken from here, were taken from the mapping elements section of this forum. I have since forgotten who's stuff I am using but I am quite sure I have repped them all. If not let me know and accept my sincere apologies).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trial.jpg 
Views:	427 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	20011  
    Last edited by Locution; 01-05-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Awesome peace of work mate, nicely put together the extras down the side and map title really set the old world tone

Wow, stunning. Very well done. Have some rep.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Blog Entries

Wonderful map, Locution.

I do have a few small niggles with it though. The first is the map edge. The semi-circles you have erased from it to make it look battered are too uniform in shape and size.
    The second one is that I preferred the image you posted last night in the other thread. The background on that was of a crisper, flatter yet still slightly crumpled paper. This new paper looks a little too blurred and bumpy to go with the crispness of the map and the flavour art in the side panels. Maybe if you are devoted to this background then a displacement of the map would help yo tie them together more and maybe a slight blurred layer underneath to show ink bleeding.

Anyway, those niggles aside it still looks great
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Thanks everyone.

Ramah, I appreciate your critique. The edge was actually created by running Eye Candy's "burnt edges" filter over the image but I do see how it is rather uniform. I chose to keep this edge because I found the filter a little tricky to work with and my other attempts either took away too much edge ot not enough. As for the background, I Originally used just the "crumpled" filter that is also from Eye Candy but I thought it looked a little artificial so I added a parchment texture and then the crumpled filter on top of it. I did notice that it blurred the image somewhat but I though that added to the "aged" effect.

I am not sure if I quite know how to make it look like the ink has bled but I am very interested in trying it out. It sounds like an awesome effect.

A really nice map. I reallly like the old style look of things.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.