Thread: B&W Hex Map Symbols

Post B&W Hex Map Symbols

A few days ago, I put together a number of icons in the style of the classic D&D Expert blue rulebook (and others). I had not seen something similar.

Linked is a sample map key showing the icons and a zip with individual 300x300 transparent pngs, and you're free to use them for any purpose, as far as I'm concerned.
    http://inkwellideas.com/hexographer_...php?topic=56.0

I did them for my project Hexographer which helps people create hex maps quickly and easily. To use these in Hexographer you need to use the pro version which allows a user to switch the icons from the defaults. But as I said, anyone can use these, even if you want to turn them into brushes for Photoshop/GIMP or whatever.

BTW, the one icon I'm unhappy with is the sand dunes icon. If you have an alternate idea for it, please describe it or post it (if I can include it in the zip.)

Here is an idea for the dunes.
    They don't look like your hills or mountains.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dunes.jpg 
Views:	362 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	20017  

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Here is a dunes in a similar style using DevinNight's profile:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bw-dunes-alt.png 
Views:	1967 
Size:	5.8 KB 
ID:	20019

or with dunes shrinking:

Name:	bw-dunes.png 
Views:	2494 
Size:	5.2 KB 
ID:	20020

-Rob A>
    Thanks. Do you mind me including one of those in the zip I made? I'm worried that people may think they look like hills too (albeit different ones). But I guess people can use either as they wish. Or maybe I can tweak these somehow. Maybe put a few dots in it to represent sand.

Quote Originally Posted by SowelBlack View Post
    Thanks. Do you mind me including one of those in the zip I made? I'm worried that people may think they look like hills too (albeit different ones). But I guess people can use either as they wish. Or maybe I can tweak these somehow. Maybe put a few dots in it to represent sand.
    Feel free to include it.

Here is another one more dune-ish, but less in line with the remainder of your symbols:

Name:	dunes.png 
Views:	1720 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	20149
    -Rob A>

Perhaps if a cactus was included with the dunes, it would be more obviously desert? (Or use a sandworm for a more dramatic desert symbol.)