Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From small seeds, such things grow. World Map WIP

Wip From small seeds, such things grow. World Map WIP

Some of you may remember my first map attempt a few weeks back that I posted here. Eventually I went hog wild and turned it into THIS

Since then I've started a few other things, but I continue to build upon the basis of that original map and have extended the land out quite a bit. There are over 100 labels on the map now and quite a few geographic decals so it is almost illegible if you aren't zoomed in to at least 50%. Once I finish I'll go back and streamline out all the less important stuff and probably make a lower LOD version of the map for lower resolution versions. I kept everything hidden just to show the landmass for now.

This is one of three continents in the world map that this will eventually become. This particular land is known as Esterlen as you can probably tell. The others are still very rough at the moment and one is about twice the size of this one, though mostly empty thankfully.

Anyways, enough babble, tell me what you think. To give you a concept of scale, the largest solid 'chunk' of the continent there on the west side would have approx. the same area as Australia.

- Vin

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullmaprough.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	740  

I love your colour scheme and the coastline looks very believable. Just as an experiment I'd be tempted to try just reducing the intensity of the white glow a tad to a light green/grey, just to see if that might give a more unified. The dark inner shadow gives the land a bevelled appearance, which is an interesting effect. Otherwise, no comments from me - great work!

Ravs

Those are just quick photoshop layer effects, it will require a lot more tweaking before it is finished.

I have a feeling that is going to be beautiful. Looking forward to seeing it transform.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I like the "feel" of the zoomed in map. I'm no expert in mapmaking, but it looks very realistic to me and is the kind of map I'd love to hand out to my players. The effects and lack of boxiness add to that.

My only attempt at a critical comment is regarding the name chosen for a particular area: "The Claws", which happens to look like a bunch of claws on the map. There are very few places on earth named for how they look from the sky or on a map. Why? Because most of the people that live there, and that thus named it, never see it from that perspective. Instead, they see it from a ground-level view and thus refer to it in terms that make sense from that perspective. However, people making fantasy maps often name places for their resemblance from the mapmaker's perspective, for obvious reasons.

If I were you I'd either rename it to something more in keeping with the namer's perspective (assuming they were typical humanoids) or take advantage of the fact it's a fantasy setting and create a neat history about how it got its name (e.g. maybe it was named by flying dragons and they passed the name on to the humanoid inhabitants, or maybe the name has nothing to do with the shape of the landmass!).

Anyway, that's a beautiful map you've created - thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing more!
    Post your maps in the context they belong in - your world! - at Eruvian.com. Be a builder of worlds...!

Default Map Comments....

The outline of Esterlen looks very nice--good job. I'd be curious to see what it looks like when land features, roads, and cities are added. I'm also curious what a full world map would look like. Good luck and good mapping.

Quote Originally Posted by Eru View Post
    My only attempt at a critical comment is regarding the name chosen for a particular area: "The Claws", which happens to look like a bunch of claws on the map. There are very few places on earth named for how they look from the sky or on a map. Why? Because most of the people that live there, and that thus named it, never see it from that perspective. Instead, they see it from a ground-level view and thus refer to it in terms that make sense from that perspective. However, people making fantasy maps often name places for their resemblance from the mapmaker's perspective, for obvious reasons.

If I were you I'd either rename it to something more in keeping with the namer's perspective (assuming they were typical humanoids) or take advantage of the fact it's a fantasy setting and create a neat history about how it got its name (e.g. maybe it was named by flying dragons and they passed the name on to the humanoid inhabitants, or maybe the name has nothing to do with the shape of the landmass!).
    Actually, a domesticated 'drake' is one of the primary modes of transportation in this land, and they are also used to draw dirigibles. The territory in the small close-up map is also very recently conquered, so most of the towns are new or at least have new names given to them by the newly arrived. I had a similar concern when I first named it that but on the whole it seems logical enough. They are also particularly rocky and dangerous to sail around, which lends more credence to the name.

Thanks for the criticism though, always nice to be questioned on things like this to avoid stupid mistakes.

Drake-drawn dirigibles: how cool! If your skills extend to artistry, I'd love to see a drawing of them.... =)
    Post your maps in the context they belong in - your world! - at Eruvian.com. Be a builder of worlds...!

It isn't exactly the best of sketches, but I did this to illustrate to a friend what I was talking about the other day when I was explaining my story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dragondirigible.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	749  

Quote Originally Posted by Venardhi View Post
    It isn't exactly the best of sketches, but I did this to illustrate to a friend what I was talking about the other day when I was explaining my story.
    You sir deserve some rep!! Nice illustration, agreed that it isn't the best, but it gets the point across and gives an excellent feel of the setting.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast