Thread: The Chamber of Eyes - Thunderspire Labyrinth

Post The Chamber of Eyes - Thunderspire Labyrinth

My D&D campaign somehow managed to rise from the dead after a 5 month vacation and I was left scrambling to get things ready for this Friday.

This map, top to bottom, was done within 24 hours. I started yesterday afternoon around 5 or so, and I'm uploading it now at 2:30.

Everything was done in Photoshop, except for the furniture which I've slowly been swiping from Dundjinni over the years.

Overall I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I set a 1 day time limit for myself because I've got so many other things to get ready, and I was expecting nothing but a rough sketch.

Maybe I should take more 5 month breaks.

As you enter from the lower left, you head up some steps and find yourself in a large, rubble strewn narthex with a raised balcony on the far wall. To the right a set of double doors are flanked by two demonic gargoyles.

Heading through the doors, into the front hall, you find a guard room and a bath chamber.

Going up either set of steps will bring you to what were the acolyte's and priest's rooms, which in turn lead to the balcony which overlooks the "Chamber of Eyes".

The central point of the temple, the Chamber of Eyes, was formerly a shrine to Torog, "The King That Crawls." It is being used by it's current residents as a slave pit.

The lowest rooms on the right are the kitchens and mess hall... There isn't much interesting you can say about them aside from noting the secret passage that leads to a trap door under the Statue of Torog.

Overall the only thing I'm unhappy with and might mess around with more are the fireplaces, but I need to work on other stuff first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Chamber of Eyes.gif 
Views:	2326 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	20058  
    Last edited by Nytmare; 01-06-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks pretty good to me.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Just out of curiousity: I've seen maps to the Thunderspire Labrynth before (I think SG drew them), it's a D&D adventure isn't it? Does the adventure module not come with maps or are these based on maps from the adventure module?

Great work on the map, Mare, really nice clean feel.

It comes with maps, but I feed maps to my players digitally and don't want them to see all the secret DM information on the published maps.

Plus, I'm a pretentious artiste and I want the maps to fit in with the other bits and pieces of artsy style sprinkled about my game.

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Just out of curiousity: I've seen maps to the Thunderspire Labrynth before (I think SG drew them), it's a D&D adventure isn't it? Does the adventure module not come with maps or are these based on maps from the adventure module?

Great work on the map, Mare, really nice clean feel.
    I did the maps up for THUNDERSPIRE, PYRAMID OF SHADOWS, and KING OF THE TROLLHAUNT.

When i did the maps I did not do maps for areas that were on the included poster maps, nor did I add 'secret areas'. In other words, I made simple, yet detailed maps perfect for a DM to plop down and say "Here is the area!"

That said, I am always happy to see other maps of the same areas. Good Work!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Nope, no problem.

To further clarify your initial question. The new WotC modules are designed specifically for Miniatures, yet each mod only comes with a single double sided poster map of a couple of 'key' encounter areas.

So, I went out and redid the maps appropriate to a scale for miniatures (1 inch = 5 feet), and because it is forminiature play, I did not include traps, secret doors, etc.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Just out of curiousity: I've seen maps to the Thunderspire Labrynth before (I think SG drew them)
    I wish I had done them, NK did a really great job with them.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

*compares this map to the one in the book* um... is it just me, or is it missing a few things...