Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: January Challange: Fort Locust

Guild Journeyer

Post January Challange: Fort Locust

I am going to try and do the Fort Locust Region of Groam. I really am trying to finish this but I will have a new baby soon so who knows how it will go. This is what I have so far and it is pretty rough so any comments or suggestions will be helpful. Lets see I will have better luck in this challenge versus the others I have entered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fort2.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	700.6 KB 
ID:	20059

Name:	Groam.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	20060

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too shabby. Good so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The map itself looks great so far. But if we're using the standard 600 mile square CWBP square, your scale looks a bit off.

By my math, the red square you've got marked off in the Groam tile should be about 30 miles in either direction. That would make your walled section about five miles east to west, with the castle itself being about 1.5 miles across.

Math is neither my profession nor my hobby, so it is very possible that *I* am the one who is off (which means I need to go back and edit a few of my CWBP maps, because this is what I used to scale them), but it's worth looking in to.

But, scale aside, your style is off to a fantastic start.

-IG

Guild Journeyer

Your math is probable right I was not sure on the scale so I will have to go back to the drawing board on the scale.

Guild Journeyer

You were right on the scale and as such I am probable screwed. Mile wide rivers are kinda crazy but it is a fantasy world. I think I will try shrink the area I am working with but bah-humbug. Back to work

Guild Journeyer

This is giving me a headache the small peninsula it self is roughly 10 miles square at 1500x1500 pixels that comes out to be 35' per pixel which is impossible to work with so... what to do give up? not sure

Blog Entries

Well you could map just the peninsula and mark where the castle is or just find a similar type of map with a castle marked on it that is at respectable scale to work with so that you can put a new map of it with reasonable detail. Or shrink the borders and make the same map but mark it as a smaller bit of groam.

This map was definitely the right idea tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyll View Post
    This is giving me a headache the small peninsula it self is roughly 10 miles square at 1500x1500 pixels that comes out to be 35' per pixel which is impossible to work with so... what to do give up? not sure
    You should also remember that this is a medieval type of setting. Given an average walking speed of 3 miles per hour, it'd take a normal person just over 3 hours to get from on end of the peninsula to the other. If you scaled your city down to about 2 square miles or so, they could easily get from one end to the other and still have time to do their trading and get back home before dark.

This is likely why most common people never saw anything outside of their own town their entire lives, and lends credence that adventurers truly are something to behold.

Well, there's my two cents. Keep the change.

-IG

Guild Journeyer

Thanks for the advice . I am trying to rescale down to something reasonable now to work with. Think i have an idea working on it now.

Guild Journeyer

Still a WIP need docks, inner walls, other sundry items but besides that how does it look so far. CC appreciated.

Name:	FortLocust.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	982.8 KB 
ID:	20152

I am still going to do a regional map. I am not sure if I am going to do the whole region as in the initial posting or just the peninsula. Anyways.

oops need shadows around the walls also

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast