Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [WITHDRAWN] January Entry: Western Mythkir Bay - Ship's Graveyard

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, I seem to be fated never to get one of those compasses It was indeed one of my usual clients. I'll hold back the name because I'm not sure they want it out but it should be in print in early April. I'll post the version that gets printed when I have permission.

They were clear that they didn't mind the earlier sketches being out and about, and they're still in the original WIP thread here:

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8621

I'm sorry I won't get a chance to vote for your lovely map this month...but congratulations on the sale!
    M

I want to say that I'm sorry that you had to withdraw your entry... but considering *why* you had to withdraw, I'm not sure there's really much to be sorry about. I kinda wish I had that problem...

On the upside, I'm glad to see my "entry withdrawn" tile is being put to good use.

Congrats on selling your map. You should be making a killing as good as you are.

-IG

Congrats on the sale Torstan. Very deserving.

Personally, I look over the entries and I'm thinking to myself, "Holy Crap, how am I going to compete with these guys? I've got no time, I've got no food, my pet's heads are falling off.....oh wait, that was a line from a movie. "

Seriously, the entries have been amazing and while I figure myself unlikely to place against some of these, like yours, I can't help but improve the more I can stand in the arena.

There is really nice work going on here and I want to thank you for posting because if nothing else, it helps me see what can be done.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Don't feel too bad, Jax...I enter every month and I only have 1 win It does push one to go further and do better, though, and that's the whole point. I kinda learn by osmosis
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Well I'm not sure I could call it a killing just yet, but it's consistent which is remarkably nice. Thanks for all the kind words.

@Jax: Amusingly enough that's exactly what I think most months looking at the contest! There's a consistently high level of quality. However I love the fact that this community gives encouragement and advice to all entrants. You'll get better by entering. And one month it will be your idea that stands out and gets the votes. Not to mention that it's a great incentive to work to a deadline.

Blog Entries

Yeah I get better each map I do.... but unfortunately so does everyone else. You should go back and look at them a year or two ago and whilst good the newer ones just get better and better. I entered every month from about Jan 08 to mid last year and my highest position was a 2nd place and I think even then that was in a month where only three entered and one sorta dropped out. So we started the Lite challenge and you cant enter if you win it once. You gotta do it for the fun or else you would lose heart with it.

Now maybe if we can persuade more publications to purchase all the best entries then theres new hope for me

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123