Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Empire of Galladorn revisited

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

Post The Empire of Galladorn revisited

So I have an opportunity to print out my map of Galladorn in a poster-size format and I was looking it over and making sure it was 100% before I commit to printing it and I was thinking about adding roads. I am not sure if I am crazy about it or if I should try some different style so I thought I would submit a screen here and see what suggestiond I get.

I have added some preliminary roads here. My aim is for them to obviously match the style of the map and to be subtle but obvious at the same time (does that even make sense :S)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	20073  

I am now thinking perhaps roads may be too much for this map and it is fine the way it is.

Need help!

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I think they work fine - certainly clear, and I don't think it's too busy. If you want to try a different look then you could try using lighter roads rather than darker. That would differentiate them clearly from the rivers which my be an advantage.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    I think they work fine - certainly clear, and I don't think it's too busy. If you want to try a different look then you could try using lighter roads rather than darker. That would differentiate them clearly from the rivers which my be an advantage.
    That's what I was thinking too - right now, on first glance, they look exactly like the rivers. It's not immediately clear that they're not rivers. Like Torstan says, a simple fix would be to just lighten them up.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You could also try dotted lines or dashed lines.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I used a dotted line for my borders so that might be a bit confusing but thanks for the suggestion. It was my first thought as well. I have actually come up with something I like by taking Torstan and diamond's advice and adding a 1px stoke at about 20% opacity I will add a pic later. I am off to see Avatar again

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You may also consider making the road lines a bit thinner than the rivers - that may help separate them as well.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I finished the roads and I think I am happy with the result. I added some shipping lanes where major cities are cut off from the rest of the nation but made these national shipping lanes rather than going into international ones. I also added some more labels to the map (primarily bays and gulfs) and there are more to come before I print this baby out.

Hmm....For some reason the image wont attach. It keeps telling me that Talandryn1.jpg is not a valid image file. Its only 4.3 megs too.
    Last edited by Locution; 01-08-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Maybe it's too large in terms of pixels. In theory you should be able to upload something 6000 by 6000 resulting in the cap here of 36 megapixels. However, I've never been able to upload anything larger than 4000 square.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

There that has done the trick, thanks Ascension.

Its a bit hard to see the shipping lanes in this image since I had to reduce both the quality and size to be able to post it but if you look hard enough you can see the dotted lines indicating them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galladorn.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	20153  
    Last edited by Locution; 01-08-2010 at 05:12 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast