Thread: my first gimp/arc hybrid starter

Map my first gimp/arc hybrid starter - real world meets hubbardscape

making my first fictional map with gimp and arcmap, i still need to learn more gimp tools, but i really like it more and more.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimp_map_1.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	20077
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-08-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Info Add attachment for larger maps

You should edit your post, using Advanced Settings. In the main editor, theres a paperclip in the top row, use that to Add an Attachment, uploading your map from your PC or from a link elsewhere online. That way a thumbnail is automatically created, yet you can add a much larger map, so we can get a better look, without having to directly post an image file. Use this instead of Insert Image button.

Looks good, except its too small to really get an idea of what you created - I am interested! Give me a bigger map to look at and I'll send you some REP.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Post trouble getting quality post

this was a very small piece of raster data that i manipulated in arcmap, then gimped it -painted (enhanced hill texture), smoothed, drew (water&clouds), pixelated, sharpened, and few other things.
    can't get a larger size without losing quality big time. it pixelated more getting this one.
    i posted a jpg instead of the png, it enlarges some now >>
    thanks, it is interesting figuring out this combination.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gimp_map_1.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	20115
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-07-2010 at 10:15 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Maybe you could take it into a raster program and blur out the pixellation then import it back in for whatever else that gis thingy does, like erosion or something, shrug, and then take it back to raster for painting and tweaking. I don't know the first thing about gis apps, just trying to help ya out on the pixellation thing. Su_Liam could probably be of more help than I.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

yeah, i need to figure out the process more. this was created in maybe 4 hours, trying to get my head out of the real world landscape >>
    my favorite part was making a massive waterfall that pours off the cliff into the bigger waterbody. (you maybe able to see it..coming from the lake to the NE.) i put some mist curling up, but it is proably too fuzzy to see...
    the clouds were spread down the spline of the biggest ridge, on the west side, and continued down into the valley above the biggest part of the river (to the west), tried to make it act like real clouds in mountains, the way it will drape down to the lower, warmer points.
    i just realized i didnt even put a cardinal in it...dern
    the scale in my head was maybe Rio Grande Canyon size. i'll try some labels and re-color next, and better res. hopefully
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-07-2010 at 11:43 PM.

I'm not exactly sure I understand the issue your having. It looks like the issue is the small size of your elevation map(DEM). If that's the case, you have two options. The preferred option is: get a higher-res DEM. A good place to start is seamless.usgs.gov, though that has been having issues of late, you can fin a wealth of data. Another option is to resample your DEM raster. Show your ArcToolbox Window, you'll find the Resample tool under Data Management Tools>Raster>Raster Processing>Resample. You'll want to know your beginning resolution and dimensions. Be careful that you don't try to resample, say, Oregon to 1-meter resolution. For example, if your existing resolution is 30-meter and you want to double the final image size, resample to 15-meter resolution.

Resampling will kill the jaggies, but it will leave things... fuzzy. Better starting data is better.

i think it's actually in the final sending to a jpg or png (because you can only upload 4.77MB file). the resolution is pretty decent when i made it...the pixelation occurs when making a copy to post here
    i've been using the seamless server for awhile, and i now use much better dems than they have (and that site has suffered lately)
    the resampling im familiar with, i can make some raster sets look good i think,
    see my maps:www.hubbardmapworks.com
    next one i will start off with a bigger chunk, that's all it is i'm sure
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-08-2010 at 06:39 PM.