Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January Entry: Romeda

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think it looks really nice except for the tan text is a bit hard to read...just a bit, nothing big at all. Feymoors and Tragic Jungle look great so for the towns I'd add a fatter stroke in either a dark gray or a medium dark brown...with that you might have to spread them out a bit with the tracking. The river labels probably need to be spread out a bit, too, so that the letters don't run together. Overall it looks pretty damn sweet, bro.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I agree with Ascension. Spreading the letters out wold work nicely with that text. Also might be worth putting a small curve on the labels to settle them into the map a little? Looking good.

Took your advice.. I also added a bunch more labels and a scale bar. Almost there!

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Romeda.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	20173  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yep, that looks great, man. Nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Very nice map IG. It's really coming together.
    Personally I preferred the first labelling you did. I like the style of lettering more on the second but it just seems that every label is curved for the sake of it. To me the first one looks a lot classier.

The only other thing I don't like about the map is the mountains. It's not your fault though, I just have a personal problem with those type of mountains with the little fishbone spurs sticking out. They always look too artificial to me. Or maybe it is the texturing on those type of mountains I don't like, too fussy and metallic when the rest of the map has a lovely distressed, impressionistic vibe going on.

Still, really good stuff happening here. Good luck in the challenge.
    Last edited by Ramah; 01-09-2010 at 06:59 AM.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I like it. I see the point Ramah, but I think it's a matter of taste.

I lessened the curve on the labels so that there's just a hint. I also lowered the opacity just a bit to blend it better.

I softened the mountains a little and changed the texture to something not quite as sharp. I think it blends a little better... at least I hope so, because there's no going back now.

Thankfully there is still a lot of time left on this challenge. I still have a lot of labeling to do, and the creative juices just aren't flowing right now.

All in all I'm happy with this map. With torstan, Tear, and Djekspek all entering I don't think I'll have a shot, but it is fun nonetheless. And I've learned a lot, and I guess that's the most important thing.

Thanks for your help--I'm looking forward to more of it!

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	60 
Size:	3.99 MB 
ID:	20180  

Blog Entries

This looks great. Not only does it look like a great quality map but it also matches up with the existing reference map very well. Seems like a strong contender if you ask me and tho there's only one golden compass theres three copies of my app to win.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-09-2010 at 02:26 PM.

With an inset depicting the location of Romeda in relation to the rest of the world.

### Latest WIP ###

Views:	162 
Size:	4.07 MB 
ID:	20200  

Awesome job IG. gratz on this beautiful piece! I really like the matching styles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast