Thread: Scale Bars In CS2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Question Scale Bars In CS2

Hi All,

Can someone help me out please. Id like to add a scale bar to a map ive been working on using CS2. Unfortunately i have no idea how to do this. Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial or perhaps walk me through the process please.

Regards...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The way that I do my scale bars is to decide how much distance 1 pixel represents. On a world map it's like 2 to 5 miles per pixel. On a continent it's like 1 to 2 miles. Regional maps are like 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Building maps are anywhere from 10 feet to 3 inches. Once I have that estimated I grab the hard square 10 pixel pencil and plop down a square. Duplicate this layer, hold down the shift key and hit the right arrow to move this layer 10 pixels to the right. Do that 3 more times then merge these 5 layers together...this results in a 10 by 50 rectangle. If it fits my scale close enough I put a black color overlay on it. Duplicate this layer and move it to the right and change the black color overlay to white. Duplicate a few more times, alternating between black and white, then merge again. Put on a black stroke and then put the numbers in. If the scale doesn't fit my estimate I change my estimate
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Thankyou for the help I will try this and see how it turns out !

i have an idea churning in my head since reading this post.
    my question is though.. is the goal a printed map? or just an online one..
    it could be old idea, but here goes >>
    make your map like you want, with a range of scale that works for the layout, nothing exact though.
    then print your map.
    take a planimeter, or map wheel, set it to a random scale (close to what you think).
    measure around the map, and look at the results of distance.
    if it is way off, then keep changing scales till you find one that is close to what you wanted.
    use these distances, or maybe average them, to come up with a scale to use for your scale bar.
    the scale bar itself, you may have to print the map several times to get a 1-inch (or whatever length you want); and label the scale bar with the distance measured with map wheel.
    this make sense? am i way off?
    and it may only work with print maps, and for maps with no predetermined distances >>
    Last edited by hubbardmapworks; 01-08-2010 at 10:55 AM.

Guild Member

Well the map will be printed at some point as its for my new D&D Campaign. Im intrigued by your idea although id have to get hold of a couple of bits of kit to follow it through though.

I would be interested though in hearing if anyone else has tried this.

Just as an aside ive tried Ascensions suggestion and map can be found at the link below.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8575
    Last edited by nichollsr; 01-08-2010 at 12:49 AM. Reason: added a link