Thread: WIP: Lyund

Guild Novice

Wip WIP: Lyund

Starting a new city/town map, mostly for playing with the awesome Gimp Mosaic Tutorial by Torstan (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3392).

So, this is mostly for learning - not for a campaign or anything -- hopefully something decent will come out!

I'm using Gimp, and so far, I've drawn in the roads! Buildings and color come next!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyund.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	20106  

Guild Novice

Wip Some Buildings

So, Torstan's tutorial is awesome for generating buildings. One thing I wanted to do with this map, however, is get some more variation into the building layout by iterating on the basic premise of the tutorial.

The idea is to do a couple of mosaics - starting with big buidings, and working down to smaller ones to fit into the remaining pieces.

Attached is the progress so far - the first iteration used the Octagons & Squares Mosaic with a tile size ~90. The goal there was to make a very few large buildings, so the threshold was adjusted till few of the buildings were still showing.

The second iteration used the Squares pattern with tile size ~50, to fill in more of the spaces with buildings. Some finagling with the Shrink/Grow selection was used to make sure the second set of buildings didn't overlap and make the first look weird.

Name:	Lyund_1iter.jpg 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	20109   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyund_2iter.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	20110  

Guild Novice

Wip 2 More Iterations

2 iterations later. I think this might be the end of the building placement phase -- I like the effect of multiple iterations, but it gets expensive in terms of time, since the nth iteration requires n cleanups (1 for the roads and n-1 for each previous layer).

Roofs and color to follow next.

Name:	Lyund_3iter.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	279.4 KB 
ID:	20113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lyund_4iter.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	358.4 KB 
ID:	20114  

Guild Novice

Wip Bump Mapping + Grass

Bump maps and Grass added -- roads to follow!

Name:	Lyund-bumped.jpg 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	20116  

Guild Novice

Wip shadows + road

So here it is after the rest of the recommendations from the tutorial for roads and building shadows.

I think it looks okay -- I think some of the smaller buildings look too pebbly, perhaps. Any ideas on how to fix?

Name:	Lyund-shadowed.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	295.5 KB 
ID:	20117  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I can't really offer any help but my thought is that the buildings look rather angular and not really "building-like". I haven't done the tut so it might be from the tut itself. In any case I would use the tut as a base template for where to put stuff and go back and put in more "building-like" shapes on top of those places. Sorry I can't be of more help with the tut, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Call it Orcs with no tape measures and I think it works pretty well.

I don't think you can get the squares dead on using the mosaic. It gives more of a rough, from a distance, view. Up close it is pretty but looses some of it's city-ness.

Still for slapping out the idea of a city quickly it might be useful.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt