Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for help on making a cliff

Post Looking for help on making a cliff

I'm putting together a battlemap in Photoshop, and i'm having trouble making a cliff over a stream. Could somebody help me out?
    Please see attached image.

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountedcombat2.jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	655.5 KB 
ID:	20108  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd do this with a few layers. First you have your land layer. Then you have a rock layer, put a soft chisel bevel on that with a big size so that it covers the rock and creates striations. Copy the land layer, put it on top, and erase out the middle where the cliff and river are leaving the rock layer to show through.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Ok, i gave it a shot. How's this (it's at 50% scale; the map is 20 inches on a side)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountedcombat2.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	20156  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Not too shabby if you ask me. It doesn't look like a big cliff - for that just increase the size of the bevel and erase a bit more on that side on the top layer...you get the idea. Also the bridge looks to be really big compared to the trees - reduce the size, split it in the middle, spread it out, copy chunks out of the middle, and then piece it back together. Overall looks good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hmm...more like the trees are too small. One square is 5 feet.

Thanks for pointing it out, though!

Post stacked layers and bevels...

Bear in mind that though I use Photoshop/GIMP for some design functions, I mostly create maps using a Vector drawing program, in my case, Xara Xtreme Pro 4.0. However the technique should end up with the same results.

I create cliffs by creating various beveled layers each with its own texture, beveling, and shadow properties, then create the next layer and stack it on top, repeating this process, until I achieve what I am after.

Though I have several cliff designs made in this style, here's one from April of last year...

Note the last map towards the bottom of the page - entry with two other maps in it...

Cliff map

You should be able to emulate that in PS or GIMP as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I recognized that bridge from the DJ forums.

Later in that post I posted the same bridge with the shadows/highlights foxed and a perspective sag added.

The scale doesn't work on your map, however, so I adjusted the scale, widened the boards and rotated the bridge to match your scenery a bit better, also adding a bit of shadow in the gorge to show the difference a bit of touch-up effort makes when working with stock objects.

For your convenience here is the widened, rotated version if you wish to replace yours:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rb.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	20294

-Rob A>

n0oB question here, but how does one perform a "chisel bevel" in GIMP?

.TM7
    Last edited by TheMarcus7; 02-05-2010 at 09:29 PM.

A little late to the party but I was messing with a automated Photoshop map file thingie I have and made me a new cliff...

Cliffs and craters

Let me know if you want the recipe and I'll post it here.

- Joel Fagin

Of course we do! And here's some rep in expectation.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast