Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Finished Map - 1500's parchment style test 1

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ok, this was the best I can do. A lil bit of warping due to the curled paper (noticeable on the scale bar), chopped off a few pixels on the bottom and right (less than 20, though, so the map is still intact). I'm no pro at manipulating photos but it looks pretty good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000328a.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	4.26 MB 
ID:	20158  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

wow, this one is going straight into my inspiration folder. A really great map Swotavator! repped

Thanks everybody! and thanks Ascension for the manipulation.

I have looked at a LOT of antique maps to try to pin down what I did differently. Looks like the problem with the colors isn't so much the brightness, but rather the fact that they were watercolors. The period I like is about 1550-1610. After we knew the world was round, before we knew how to print maps on the press. The ones after this time period look very bland, fake, etc. The ones in my time period are all hand-drawn, have areas of unknown information, really strange illustrations, and very utilitarian lines, rhumbs, and markings. In this time period, it looks like they were using more opaque, less water soluable stuff. The colors, I am finding were actually supposedly pretty bright, but oxidizing iron and copper in ink makes them turn green.

With my map, I intended to have areas of unknown, but I was shooting for an area the size of the mediterranean. I have seen maps in my era of study that show the whole surrounding area in complete detail. The biggest thing I screwed up is that I mark up the map as a nautical chart yet show cities that aren't all on the coast. Almost every historical map shows ONLY coastal cities. Meh, lesson learned.

Next step is to seek out better materials, and find some real vellum. I am going to try to recreate an actual historical map. Below are the two best candidates:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssina_1533.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fileedro_Reinel_1504.3.jpg

Anyone know any other good ones?

Quote Originally Posted by swotavator View Post
    Next step is to seek out better materials, and find some real vellum. I am going to try to recreate an actual historical map. Below are the two best candidates:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ssina_1533.jpg

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fileedro_Reinel_1504.3.jpg
    I used that second link as a source image on a colour match with your map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000328_recoloured.jpg 
Views:	989 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	20232

-Rob A>

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I really like this more "subdued" version. That's not to say, however that I think any less of the original.

a very nice map!!!
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Thats TIGHT! RobA! Thanks. What did you do, lower saturation?

Did some interesting work today with paper vellum. I used permanent india ink on it (calligraphy) then let it dry. I wet it in coffee and then ironed it dry and flat, and it looked like real vellum. I might be using this as the next map. The only problem with it is that it is too transparent to use as real vellum. (ink shows through the back side too much). on the plus side, in water, the vellum really held up well (unlike normal paper). Another downer is that it is very crinkly when it dries. I am going to try to tape it flat as it dries to see if this has any effect.

Thats TIGHT! RobA! Thanks. What did you do, lower saturation?
    I cheated

I wrote a gimp script that takes the histogram from one image and applies it to another by adjusting curves... much like the photoshop Match Colour function.

Here is a description and a link for gimpers out there...

-Rob A>

Post Nice work!

I love it. Nice to see you did this by hand too. I like both color versions and don't think the first was too bright per se... just depends what you're going for.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

on the plus side, in water, the vellum really held up well (unlike normal paper). Another downer is that it is very crinkly when it dries. I am going to try to tape it flat as it dries to see if this has any effect.
    One of the things I found works is to iron the finished product. Low heat, no steam.

Another method would be to weight the paper down while it dries (I used a paper towel over and under, then a phone book on top, then anything I could find that was really heavy - a car battery and several paint cans works really well, seeing as I couldn't find an anvil or an engine block, hah) then again, i was experimenting on letter size paper, I don't know how large yours is.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast