Thread: Amateur writer

Map Amateur writer

Hello All,

My name is Mark. I live in Kansas.

I found this forum the other day, and I have enjoyed the maps you all have created. Some of them are so detailed. Wow!

I am interested in writing a fantasy story. I'm in the very early stages. I don't even have a plot yet. But, before I start that part of the project, I would like to have some visuals. That's when I first started looking for maps. There aren't many blank maps online. I eventually found the program AutoRealm. I have created a few maps, ideas of what I would like my fantasy land to look like. I have attached one of the better ones.

But, I am not a cartographer! The basic shape is probably all I can do unless I spend a long time to learn the art. I'm not trying to be lazy, but there is much to writing a story in the first place, and I plan on basing much of the story on research that I have just started, so what I am saying is that I would like some help ... if it doesn't require too much of someone's time.

I am not looking for something super detailed ... but something a little more detailed then the map that I have posted. Perhaps a few more terrain details: mountains, forests, rivers, lakes, etc ... No place names yet because I haven't gotten that far. And, I could probably do place names anyway. I will assist in any part of the project that I can.

I'm not interested in paying for the service, so spare time I understand is the best I can hope for. However, whatever form this story takes, I will make mention of your services. If the story does make money for me (which I doubt), I will gladly pay you. But, don't rely on it. It is something I am doing simply as a hobby. Besides standard publishing, I have one other idea to make money off the story, but either way, the story will have to either be complete or mostly complete for any money to be made.

If anyone would like to help me write the story, let me know as well.

Thank you in advance for any help that is graciously offered.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.PNG 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	19991  

Post Try the map requests forum at bottom...

Welcome to the Guild!

There's a Map Requests Forum, at the bottom of the main page. Make sure you read the "sticky" on what information you need to include, but following that format, make an official request for a map. Note, though some maps are done free, most don't respond unless you're offering some money for the work. In some cases money is paid as a donation to the site.

In any case, you'll need to make at least four more posts before you can start to send or receive Private Messages.

Perhaps you might want to do the work yourself, in that case we offer many tutorials on various mapping applications, though probably not Autorealm - most of us consider that an inferior mapping application.

Again, welcome!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Member

Welcome to the Guild !

Might i humbly suggest taking a look through the forums and seeing if there is a map that particularly intrigues you. When you find one contact the creator and get their approval/permission to write a story set in their world ? Just my 2 cp worth :-)

kind regards...