Thread: WIP - Southern Continents

Wip WIP - Southern Continents

Hi guys. These are the two southern continents of what I hope will eventually be a full world map. So far, apart from some general land textures, I've only been working on the eastern of the two, obviously. The map goes from about 10 degrees above the equator all the way to the south pole, just to give a sense of scale. So, since this is one of my first maps on this scale, I'm just curious about general impressions, suggestions, or any glaring mistakes that I'm oblivious to. Of everything you see, I'm most unsure of the mountain, for which I mostly followed Ascension's tutorial here as best I could, modified for gimp (his look much better than mine, I really suggest it if you haven't tried it yet).

Also, I'm extremely displeased with the way the current forest textures I have end up looking when I try applying them, so if anyone knows of a good one, I'd really appreciate a suggestion. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southern Continents.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	20165  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Whoa, that's pretty cool, dude. You've got some mountains hanging off in the ocean on that snowy southern tip and in the northeastern tip. Great colors and the mountains look pretty neat, too. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Its been somewhat of a struggle, but I've managed to get something done for the other continent that I'm pleased with. I'm still not entirely sure if everything is the way I'd like it to be in the end, maybe because I don't have forests or rivers or anything like that, but considering this is my first try at this I'm quite pleased with what I've been able to pick up from everyone who posted in the tutorial forum.

So, any new comments or suggestions?

Name:	Southern Continents 2.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	3.41 MB 
ID:	20222  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I think the best compliment that I can give is that it looks like I did it myself. That might sound pompous but I don't mean for it to be - I mean it to be respectful. I've seen a lot of people try my style in Gimp but yours looks the closest to mine that I've seen so far...even if you never intended for it to be that way. Your colors are nicer, though, very tropical feeling.

You've still got some weird bits on that one icy tip in the ocean, like black smudges but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing...but, of course, I'm biased to being that way Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Wow that is quite a compliment, thanks you very much! I've actually been modeling my style on yours, hoping it would come close, and apparently its closer than I thought

However, I've been rather less than content with the previous mountain textures I've used, so I've retried and come up with this. Believe it or not, the mountains you see here, which I'm much more please with, owe their existence to GIMP's built-in "Blurwood" pattern, which alone looks nothing like mountains and I honestly tried completely randomly. I'll keep messing around with what I've been doing, trying different settings, and if there's interest in this I'll consider writing up a tutorial, since the method I used is rather different from most gimp mountain tutorials I've seen here.

Name:	Southern Continents Final.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	20244  

Blog Entries

I really like the map but I'm sorry to say I dislike your new mountains. To me it just looks like a rough pattern that is heavily bevelled. Your original mountains were far superior. In my opinion.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt