Thread: Map making software for Post-Apocolyptic setting

Question Map making software for Post-Apocolyptic setting

I have been doing hand drawn maps for the last year and a half now. I am in charge of making maps and coming up with settings in my RPG party and tired of drawing the maps by hand. I used plenty of other software for making maps but most give a fantasy feel to them while I play Post-Apocalyptic settings. I need software that will be good for an apocalyptic setting.

You probably will get a lot of recommendations, but I'll recommend the software our project group prefers, Fractal Mapper 8. It has the advantage that you can get the complete manual, which is an excellent tutorial, for free, and you can work your way through the manual and test the program free. If it's not the right software for you, you haven't lost a cent (or a pence, haleru or whatever). To download the test version, go to:

http://www.nbos.com

The test version and the full version are identical with two exceptions:

1. The test version can print the maps that you make, but it can't save them.

2. The test version comes with fewer symbols than the full version.

To get the complete manual/tutorial free, go to:

http://www.nbos.com/nox/index.php?action=1001&id=125
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I would suggest that the tuts are a starting point...where you go with the knowledge learned is the key. To that end I would also suggest that you try using different styles, different colors, different patterns, grungy fonts and brushes, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    You probably will get a lot of recommendations, but I'll recommend the software our project group prefers, Fractal Mapper 8. It has the advantage that you can get the complete manual, which is an excellent tutorial, for free, and you can work your way through the manual and test the program free. If it's not the right software for you, you haven't lost a cent (or a pence, haleru or whatever). To download the test version, go to:

http://www.nbos.com
    Thanks,
    I just downloaded the trial version and its great! I'm buying it from RPGnow.com in a few minutes.