Thread: Map Program

Post Map Program

Hello i'm new here and in the cartogropher's life too then i need some help

I wanna know a good program to create maps for RPG games and things like that, i'm not good using pencil and paper than i prefer programs hehe...

Thanks,

Short answer: It depends on how much time your willing to invest in learning new software as well as hours and hours of practice, how much money you are willing to invest, and how pretty you want your final maps to be. Generally, the prettier you want you maps to be, the more time intensive it will be. There is a sticky somewhere that gives a brief overview of tons of different programs that can be used for mapping.

Your best bet is to find some maps here that you like and feel like you would spend the time and money to make and then look at those map authors to see what tools they used to make said map. If this does not help right off the bat, then post links to the sample maps here and we can look at them to help steer you in the right direction.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks. i'll see the topics and finished maps and see if i like of one or more...

The time that i can, and wanna, spend with learning and contructing the map it's how much its necessary to learn all about the program and creating but i don't want to spend money with programs or things like that (like the fractal mapper 8, that needs a payment).

Well thanks again and have a nice day

Your best bet, then, is probably the Gimp. It's free open source graphic editing software comparable in power to Photoshop, and there are a few really good tutorials here that will get you mapping at a fairly proficient level very quickly.

And if you do eventually decide you want to spend some money on your hobby, you can spend it on a Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet instead of software.

You could also take a look at Inkscape, which is free open source vector drawing software with similar functionality to Adobe Illustrator. It's capable of very nice, clean images, but there aren't as many tutorials available for it, so it takes a little longer to get going with it.

<Insert nautically-themed welcome message here>
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatico View Post
    Thanks. i'll see the topics and finished maps and see if i like of one or more...

The time that i can, and wanna, spend with learning and contructing the map it's how much its necessary to learn all about the program and creating but i don't want to spend money with programs or things like that (like the fractal mapper 8, that needs a payment).

Well thanks again and have a nice day
    If 0 money is a factor, then GIMP is going to give you the best flexibility, but it's not a simple drag and drop program. Not horribly hard either if you have computer experience, but it does take some getting used to. Try RobA's tutorial and then look at my Layer Mask Tutorial afterward. Also Torstan has a great tutorial for making "hand drawn" looking battle maps for gaming in GIMP.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Gimp is your best bet for photoshop style image editing without the cost... but without the cost, you get a much less refined product, so yes it will take a bit longer to learn.

Another good program that would be great to possibly use along with GIMP is Inkscape, creates some very nice vector images and I'm happy to say in most cases does not have the refining issue free apps normally have (they may do something different then your used to for a vector program, but it many cases it works better then how they do things in say, Adobe Illustrator!)

in the end, to each his own... We all have our favourites and most of us will choose certain programs over others that may seem superior... best to try as many programs as you can and come to your own conclusions!
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

In terms of free drag and drop types of applications, there is also AutoRealm (www.autorealm.org) which includes a pseudo-naming wizard. And as it happens, Vandy (one of the guild members) wrote up a snazzy little pdf manual that brings most of features and abilities into a single document. (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3708)

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges