Thread: New Member - Artist, Author, Cartographer

Post New Member - Artist, Author, Cartographer

Hi there,

I would just like to make a first post here to say hello.

I plan to post up my maps for both the Skybourne and Rocketship projects as I find the time for feedback and recommendations.

All of my maps are hand drawn. The map and art style I am shooting for is that found in RPG books in the 1980s and early 1990s.

I work pretty much exclusively in india inks / black and white. I do cheat a bit when it comes to the labels on the maps. I scan them in and use photoshop or illustrator to insert the text. I find this makes the maps look quite a bit more professional than just hand lettering them myself.

I have a series of fantasy campaign books written for first edition using OSRIC (with various customizations). They are free. The first is available and second will be posted in about ten days. In October I will be making available some maps on 18x24 canvas printed in full color.

Anyway. Howdy! I am excited to join in the fun and share / help and learn from the vast experience of the great cartographers here in the guild.

Very Best Regards,
    Arthnek
    Edward M Kann
    Writer Guy / Sometimes Artist
    www.rocketshipempires.com

Hello Arthnek. Welcome to the community! We seem to be getting more cartographers that do their work by hand. I think this is a good thing and look forward to seeing your maps.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Howdy and welcome!
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Definitely welcome aboard! Looking forward to seeing your stuff...Great to have another hand-drawn mapper aboard too!
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Welcome, Arthnek!

I see you are involved with Rocketship Empires 1936 - was that ever released? I remember seeing it discussed on EN World a couple years back and a PDF preview that looked phenomenal. Color me still interested!

Welcome, welcome, and Weeeeeeeel-COME!

I am also a huge hand-drawn map fane (though I must admit I cheat way more than you say you do!) I'm looking forward to seeing your work!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Hi Jaerdaph,

Rocketship and all of my projects were put on hold after finding that the twins (my identical twin boys are now almost three) were just too much with work, trying to have time for family and a major move / relocation.

I was very disappointed to have to put all of that on hold but looking back it was a good thing. I have had more time to improve both projects, add material, etc...

I am holding onto Rocketship until the 4e PHB hits and we learn about how it's OGL works. Rocketship also has its own 1980's style rules now which are all my own creation. I would like to offer it in both systems and also present the material as somewhat systemless so people can play in it in Hero or whatever game system they feel like running.

I have the player's book and main campaign books for Rocketship finished and sitting here at home. I am just waiting for that 4e material to roll out. From what I have heard so far it sounds like 4e might be a perfect match for the material.
    Edward M Kann
    Writer Guy / Sometimes Artist
    www.rocketshipempires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Arthnek View Post
    Rocketship and all of my projects were put on hold after finding that the twins (my identical twin boys are now almost three) were just too much with work, trying to have time for family and a major move / relocation.
    Oh, I know all about that myself. Glad to hear your projects are still alive.