Thread: [Gimp] Tutorial Request - City Modern

Help [Gimp] Tutorial Request - City Modern

I've had a lot of luck following tutorials for fantasy mapping such as overland, and a few local regions. But I haven't the faintest clue how to start making a decent looking city street using gimp. I was using dundjinni but it is so outdated now as to not work on my computer

I'm the ZM in an AFMBE campaign set in Vancouver 2010 Olympics. (I live in the lower mainland so I know the area very well) I would like to start mapping off areas such as east hastings and gas town. Can someone give me a few tips on where to start. Maybe a palette?

Any help would be very appreciated. If I can get some really good maps going for my campaign I would be more than happy to share them with the community.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I would say that the first thing that you're going to need are patterns - grass patterns, blacktop patterns, rooftop patterns, etc. Then I'd go to Google maps and do a screenshot of the area you want to do and use that as a base in your raster program. On a new layer lay down the grass, new layer and add some roads, on a different layer lay down some roofs, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps