Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - I'll finish it this time, seriously.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post WIP - I'll finish it this time, seriously.

Alright! So, as you can see, this is somewhat of an evolution on a previous map of mine. I finally managed to create mountains I am somewhat content with. (with help from isomage, for which I am quite grateful!)

I have now moved on to worrying horribly over borders, so I'm making progress. I put the borders on this map just as a quick example to demonstrate my singular somewhat poor idea for them. I'm not quite sure what to do for them.

I will update this when (or if!) I make further progress.

I would appreciate any and all comments or suggestions any of you have to offer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	somethingsomething2.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	693.8 KB 
ID:	20197  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This could get interesting...I'm intrigued. No real comments other than that cuz I don't want to push you in any direction but let you go your own way with this and see where it goes.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I'm with Ascension. This looks like it could be very interesting.

-asp
    My current worldbuilding experiment(s):
    Geidor
    --------------------------------------------

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
    -W.B. Yeats

I'm not really feeling the style of those mountains, but I like the black and red colors. Makes me think of a radar screen or something.

Nice so far. The mountains look good from a distance, but not from close. just wavelines.

Really? I think they look pretty awful from a distance, but much better up close.

*shrug*

I have an alternate style I could show, but I just upgraded to Windows 7 the other day, so it'll take a bit for me to get everything in order.
    Last edited by TheMeanestGuest; 01-13-2010 at 10:46 AM.

So, getting back into this after installing Windows 7 took longer than I thought it would, and I just started doing some more work on it this afternoon. So far I'm feeling pretty good about it, and just thought I'd post what I've got to show what sort of direction I'm going in. Obviously I've still got a fair amount of work to do, and I still have to make naval icons that I feel good about, but that shouldn't take too long. The area you should probably be looking at is in the southeast, just in case you didn't notice. As always, comments and advice are welcome.

Name:	unity copy.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	688.5 KB 
ID:	21365  
    Last edited by TheMeanestGuest; 01-23-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Guild Journeyer

I like it a lot. Not that it's easy to read, but the cool factor generated by the unique look makes up for it.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

I'm always so curious what you people use to make these maps...

Quote Originally Posted by jaspertjie View Post
    I'm always so curious what you people use to make these maps...
    I helped TMG out with the mountains, so I can talk a bit about that.

Basically, I wrote a program that reads image data as a height field, samples the pixels at a specified x- and y-frequency to make the vertices of a wireframe mesh, and outputs a 3D projection of the mesh as viewed from a given camera elevation. It can also fake the 3D effect by just perturbing vertices in the y-direction by an amount proportional to the value of the height field -- this way you don't get any vertical squashing of the image, so you can composite it with the original height field to simulate shading.

Attached are an example height field, a fake 3D projection with shading, and a real 3D projection.

For the mountains on TMG's map, he created a height field in the shape of the mountain ranges he wanted, and I did the fake projection and shading (as in Image 2 below), but only drew the horizontal lines.

Name:	hf.png 
Views:	194 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	22203   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf_grid.png 
Views:	96 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	22204   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hf_mountains.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	22205  
    Last edited by isomage; 02-18-2010 at 01:22 AM.
    My random map generators and GIMP scripts: http://axiscity.hexamon.net/users/isomage/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast