Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make the smart little trees and mountains?

Guild Novice

Question How to make the smart little trees and mountains?

It may simply be that I've overlooked it in my quick search. How do you get the smart little trees for forests and the LOTR style moutains in your maps?
    Thanks
    Greeks don't fight like heroes, Heroes fight like Greeks!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

A lot of us hand-drawn our stuff with a tablet but for those who need something quick there are premade brushes available in the Mapping Elements section.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    A lot of us hand-drawn our stuff with a tablet but for those who need something quick there are premade brushes available in the Mapping Elements section.
    I don't have a tablet but thats starting to seem like a good investment, thanks I'll check it out.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Some of us use a combination too - draw out with a tablet, then turn the drawings into brushes

But yes, a tablet is an excellent investment!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Novice

I'm sorry do u mean so u can 'paint' them straight on? And if so how would one go about such a thing? Thanks

Yep, you can paint them right in. Of course you should increase the spacing so that they become separated and not one big blob. Gimp uses the image and basically places numerous clones, or stamps, down (even in color) while Photoshop uses a grayscale to define the line-shape of the brush.
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-10-2010 at 09:40 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Guild Novice

Yep, you can paint them right in. Of course you should increase the spacing so that they become separated and not one big blob. Gimp uses the image and basically places numerous clones, or stamps, down (even in color) while Photoshop uses a grayscale to define the line-shape of the brush.
    I only got Gimp yesterday and I'm rather pleased with it but because of that I have no idea how I set it up to do that, would you or anohter be so kind enough as to explain quickly? Cheers

I can't walk you through it step by step because I know very little about Gimp but the process should be pretty similar to PS. Download a brush set, unzip it, place the brush files in the proper folder (probably something called "brushes" in the Gimp folder), and then start up the program. Once there, choose your new brush and check the brush properties then increase the spacing.

Guild Novice

I can't walk you through it step by step because I know very little about Gimp but the process should be pretty similar to PS. Download a brush set, unzip it, place the brush files in the proper folder (probably something called "brushes" in the Gimp folder), and then start up the program. Once there, choose your new brush and check the brush properties then increase the spacing.

OK Thanks

SubHawk>
    Step #1: There is a GIMP Tutorial... go there, it's great.
    Step #2: There are a bunch of other GIMP tutorials and RobA is the GIMP-God. Please make all offerings of sacrifical lambs to him and you'll get the GIMP-Wisdom you need...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast