Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Continent: Playing with Styles

Wip New Continent: Playing with Styles

This looks pretty similar to my Pirate Isles... but I am trying to play around with developing a style...

as far as feed back goes... how do the general colours and layout look? too vibrant or splattered?

Could I do with less islands?

Which of the three font tests look good for labels?

I dunno, anything else folks want to comment on?

phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new-continent.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	20213  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I always like the artistic vision of what people come up with and I think your looks great so far. Of the text I like "The Land" but maybe make it a little smaller. "Test" would be my number 2.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like the colours, looks good I have to agree with Ascension that 'The Land' looks the best of the labels. As far as islands go, my opinion is that there's never too many. Earth has an absolutely ridiculous number of little tiny islands, so go nuts

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

I like the crispness of the colors. This looks really great.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The colors seem a little 'neon' to me (but I'm picky that way ).

I like all of the labels, and I don't see any issue with the number of islands. The Philippines has 1,000s
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wip

some more playing with mountains, fonts, and labels.

i might have to play around with drawing my own mountains... but am intimidated by the process...

or maybe i should stick with the bumpy texture rather than use hand drawn mountains.

not sure.

Name:	newworld.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	463.0 KB 
ID:	20227  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like your smooth mountains from before...sort of like it's your style. Or maybe it's that I'm just used to seeing them that way or maybe I'm predisposed to thinking that they work better with the more artsy side you're going towards. I wouldn't abandon them just yet but let the whole thing play out and then if you want to make the change to the hand-drawn ones do that at the end...but you'd have to put in hand-drawn forests too. Maybe make two maps to test the style, shrug.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

I'm really liking how this is coming on. I've always loved your colouring. I've no idea how you manage to make it so bright yet still look so good.

I have to agree with Ascension, I've always liked your mountains on your other map and their painterly style. If you are looking to do a departure on this map then by all means, the hand-drawn ones also look good on there but I wouldn't discard your other style unless it was a concious style choice.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

I think the Westlund mountains fit the map better, although perhaps the others just need to be faded a little. (There's nothing wrong with using more than one style of mountain - Earth does.)

I disagree that hand-drawn mountains have to have hand-drawn forests. If you use a color or texture for forests, it can overlap with the mountain symbols, allowing you to indicate forested v. non-forested mountains. It all depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Wip

well... i went back to bumpy mountains...

how do these look for size and placement?

i am imagining that the large Suthryn island is about the size of Australia... maybe this is a new game world...

phil

Name:	mountain-test.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	426.6 KB 
ID:	20235  
    Last edited by philipstephen; 01-12-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: forgot attachment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast