Thread: 19th century maps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question 19th century maps

I'm trying to create a map in the style of maps made in the 19th century, such as this one.

In general I think I know how to proceed. However, what I'm still unsure of is how to show particular terrain features, such as forests, swamps, deserts and so forth - most of the maps I've seen only show mountains and rivers. If you have any good examples of period maps with such elements, or any other good suggestions, please tell me about it!

Post 19th Century Mapping Hints....

Jurgen, try going into the David Rumsay collection listed in links. The US Geological Survey at http://topomaps.usgs.gov/ might be of aid as well. I don't know what type of libraries and research centers you have near where you live, but looking for old geological and survey maps might be of help. One other thing, should you be lucky enough to get ahold of scans of the type of maps you are looking for, try to create tiles of the features you wish to use if you have Photoshop. One fellow was able to reproduce 3.5 Forgotten Realms style maps of his home campaign world using that method. It was very sharp and professional looking.