Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: People working on D&D worlds?

Post People working on D&D worlds?

Hello peoples, my curiousity is getting the best of me here... How many other people here are working on creating their own Dungeons & Dragons worlds? And what system (AD&D 1e, 2e...D&D 3 or 3.5)?

As for me, I'm a lover of AD&D 2e. Working on "world attempt #4" according to the top of all my note sheets. Yeah #4...the first 3 were given up on due to a loss of interest and loss of help. Sad really, I lost my 2 artists and now I have to learn to make my own world map. Using CC3 at the moment, don't much care for it. I think that is just being new to the software though.

Oops! Got myself a little off topic there...sorry it happens alot with me (maybe add (lol pun...)). Well anyhow, I have gotten a good start with all my paperwork involved in this enormous endeavor. Decided to go with an elf dominated world, being ruled by a new sub-race of my own making (that is the part of world building I'm good at - the writing and crazy imagination work).

Currently I'm stuck with the whole map thing, I have a beautiful picture of the world in my mind, but my stupid fingers can't make my smart computer make it appear on my screen. [Sigh] only if computers could just read my mind...

Ok enough of my nonsensical rambling...well for the moment at least. Let's here about your projects!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've been working on mine (even though I don't play anymore) off and on for about 10 years (link in my sig if you're interested).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Working on mine since the early eighties.....and it has gone through all DnD versions except the latest, Pathfinder, Rollmaster (er...Role Master) and a few others. I have most of the land masses at least sketched out, but I have discovered that I absolutely suck at terrain features by hand. Which brought me here a few years ago. I have since tried my hand at using progs and am starting to make some headway. I wish I had more time to devote to it though.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Post Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting

Of course the new members don't know it, but I'm still working on my commercial setting for Pathfinder RPG - Kaidan: a Japanese Ghost Story setting.

I've already published my first adventure, as part of a three part introductory campaign called The Gift. Part 2 of The Gift: Dim Spirit has been on hiatus for a few months due to failed contract negotiations with the primary publisher. So now it looks like Part 2 will be published as an imprint under Rite Publishing. Expect to see it out sometime in late February - as both my commission workload and Steve Russel of Rite Publishing is a bit full at the moment.

Think Oriental Adventures crossed with Ravenloft, to get a feel of what my setting is all about. There are numerous maps in the Finished forums, WIP forums and a thread dedicated to this project here in the General Forum.

Of course I am always looking to create other worlds for publication as well, but Kaidan is my first.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I have a world I have been working on since around 1980 or so.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Working off and on on mine... almost all my map postings are from it as well... Probably should get back to it...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I make a new world just about every other week. If I were writing or gaming I'm sure that'd be different.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I was a big fan of 3.5E, started out with 2E, loathe 4E for non-mechanics reasons (if you're at all interested I can go into a long-ish rant but lets just say that I don't think 4E is designed to tell good stories).

One of my current projects (taking a bit of a back seat cause I'm feeling 'uninspired' at the moment) is designing an RPG System. Based in the background concepts of both Pathfinder and D&D3.5E, but playing around with a lot of the other aspects in an effort to balance out the classes (removing the 15th-level wizard can destroy the world before lunch and trying to make sure there are no Pun-Puns or other rort-tastic-cheese-specials). I can tell you that trying to balance out combat with magic can take some serious effort (especially in not over-nerfing spells).

I'm currently doing the map for my 3rd World. I designed one in 9 months with a team of friends for a convention style game. This included designing cities, heraldry, racial backgrounds, world layout, world history, political systems, legal systems, gods, etc, etc, etc.

I've also done work with GamerPrinter *points up* on his Kaidan Project. Some mild design work and creating a lot of text for the adventure he mentioned. Helping out a couple of others around the boards with their political/social systems...

If you're interested, send me a message and/or check out the stuff I've done so far through my Sig.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I don't think 4E is designed to tell good stories
    I love that you said this. I gave up D&D when 4e came out and my PCs wanted to make the switch from 3.5 I thought they were all crazy and threw in the towel. Incedentally my world for which I have completed one map on this forum was originally a D&D campaign setting and it went through every edition I can remember beginning with whichever edition was before AD&D.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected JoeyD473's Avatar

I'm am currently (still) working on a city which is part of the third world I have crated and it is for 3.5. The last world was 3.5 and the first was 2E

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast