Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paidixira - My first worldmap! HMOG!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm not real sure of Tear's method on forests, he'd be the one to explain that. But to me it looks like a small round tip with some scatter and layer styles.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Though there are a couple of issues that you can do to make the map better - like the rivers splitting on left side and some minor points where your repeating texture shows a little. I think this is a great map and nice bit of art and I will give you some rep points to start your rep pip off in the green zone. Also some rep for posting the tut link on the rivers which I was going to do but now I don't need to. Thats great stuff - im glad you already found it.

If your interested in getting rid of repeating texture edges on seamless tiled textures then where you have one texture put in three - all the same image but tile them with different resolutions. Best to make the difference between res's in factors of some prime number. Say 100px x 100px then next one 133px x 133 px and then another 179px x 179px. Then they will not repeat in multiples and not show the edges so clearly.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 07-27-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Default Now in glorious Panavision color!

This is my latest vesion of paidixira, with exuberant colors and depressed rivers. This is where I'm at a road block. The colors on the map are so far the best way I know currently to differentiate terrain types, but I'm not satisfied. I really want to have at least four different textures to work with. Forests, deserts, swanps, and grasslands, and I might do taiga and chaparral too. I'm on active search mode now, so any contributions will be time saving and useful. As for the placement of my terrain, i know that desert in the northwestern section of beozall is a strange place for a desert, but it has plot relevance. I'd love feedback for the rest of my terrain, and I'm not opposed to a total overhaul if the map needs it.

Your help is invaluable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tu' Atriah_2.jpg 
Views:	784 
Size:	3.55 MB 
ID:	28142  

Default Thanks for the help guys!

Here's an update: I have forests! It's just a simple scattered brush, but i enjoyed the effect. I thought the trees were a little hard to see at first, so I added a layer to brighten things up a bit. The first version has names of all the mountains and forests other landmarks. The second version shows political borders and and country names. The black-bordered countries are either occupied by native peoples or inaccessible. What do you guys think about the names I have? Does the Land seem to have enough biomes? Do the forsts look realistic? Do you guys have any questions for me?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tu' Atriah_2.jpg 
Views:	2290 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	28598   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tu' Atriah_2_Poli.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	28601  

Guild Apprentice

this look is very different, unique. the more i look at it though I find that i really like it.
    cool work!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'd change the white glow on the text because the text is white causing it to run together in places making it hard to read. I'd change it to black or brown, but that's just my opinion.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree w/Ascension on the text. Otherwise it's quite nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like how you did the dropoffs to the big valley in the east - that looks cool. Rivers and lakes look much, much better now too, and I agree with Ascension & SG re the white glow around the text.

Trouble! I'm working on some clouds for the map, and I can't find any good examples or tutorials on the forums. Any ideas?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Do some Google searches for Photoshop Cloud tutorials, I found some good ones a year or so ago.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast