Thread: Test style

Guild Apprentice rafaelrzacharias's Avatar

Post Test style

This is a scan of a very simple map, showing the major mapping elements.
    I'm trying to use this style on my world map project that I intend to start soon.. what do you think about the style?

This is completely hand-drawn, please give me your critics!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test style.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	20221  

Nice. Reminds me a bit of The Hobbit. I would, however, suggest using a straight edge in the future for drawing the map border. (Or if you meant hand-drawn in a graphics program, at least lay down a guide to follow. Nobody can free-hand a straight line, and no professional would try.) My favorite parts are the mountains, the lake, the arrow, and the lettering.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Very Tolkien-esque. Looks great!

Post Narvinghia_test_style

Okay, This semi-arid continent was done a couple of months ago. I used a similar style, but I never liked the mountains.. so, the first picture is me trying a better-looking mountains. I plan to use the first style and redraw this continent like the first image scheme.. The only difference is that the layering was done in PS CS3 with white outter glow effect, the first one was hand-drawn..

Please, do not copy any of the names 'cus they're copyrighted. It's a 5-book novel I'm writing. Anyway, waiting for critics, sugestions... Thx

Ps: Sorry about the labbeling, it is in Portuguese, I'm from Brazil.
    Open the image in "another window" to see in full res, if not, image will be resized to 43%.. bad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Narvinghia_test_style.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	20223  
    Last edited by rafaelrzacharias; 01-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.

I like the style.
    Perhaps, you could add a bright color on the continent (or on the ocean), to make the map more readable.
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Noon View Post
    I like the style.
    Perhaps, you could add a bright color on the continent (or on the ocean), to make the map more readable.
    in my opinion you shouldn't. The Colorpoorness of this Style is responsible for this awesome look. That was the thing i always loved at the "Tolkien"-Maps. To display such a huge world in such a good looking style with only three Colors. White, Black and Red. Awesome. Really.

if you really wanted the land to stand out without colour... a greyscale ocean might work...

but i think it reads well as is.

phil

Very nice, again. Portuguese names are not a problem; maps get labeled in all sorts of languages, including imaginary ones.

Info

rdanhenry: Thanks alot man! ^^ I always apreciate critics/nitpicks, it helps me get better. I've been a huge fan of Tolkien's works since I was a kid. Love his mapping style and the ways he represented his places and landscapes. I could almoust imagine everything along the journey far before the movies itselves came out. I pretend to make an English-Labbeled version of the map itself when I have time and create a fine border with some "imaginary symbols" or fonts that I created using FontCreator v5.5.

Torstan: Thx, as I said before, that's my original intention! ^^

Noon and philipstephen: I'll post an "old style/parchment style" version of his very same continent, "Narvinghia" decipting exactly what you guys were saying: contrast between Land and Sea.