Thread: How to Determine Elevation for New Map

Guild Novice

Question How to Determine Elevation for New Map

Hey,

I'm trying to build my first map and although I've got continent's shape already drawn out in PS, I can't seem to decide how elevation should be laid out across the continent.

I figure this is something I should probably decide before going any further than black water/white land phase because otherwise I could have some misplaced rivers and lakes - amongst other things I haven't even thought about, yet.

So, what are your thoughts as to determining the elevation of your lands? Do you have a process that can be taught? Are there any geographical norms I should know about and consider?

I searched and although I got a lot of hits for elevation it all seemed to just be compliments on another's elevation in their maps. I hope I didn't miss anything...

Thanks in advance,

-Kolfax

I have used http://www.ridgenet.net/~jslayton/FunWithWilburVol4/ to get some terrain information (note the appearance of pre-defined rivers at sea level). This item works much the same if you do it in two passes - a low-altitude one for the main mass and a higher-altitude one for mountains. As a bonus I can then get Wilbur to find my rivers automagically.

Guild Novice

Thanks for the tip Waldronate, I'm going to have to check this out!