Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Islands of Morhaven

Wip WIP - Islands of Morhaven

This project I'm working on is a fantasy camapign setting called the Morhaven Islands.

Here's the first draft of the map. I'm working in good resolution, about 7000x7000 pixels, so I can print it in good size. I'll make higher res maps later of the each separate island - this will be the overview map.

Now I've just started playing with colours but they will change. I will probably adjust a few shorelines as I'm not 100% satisfied. Some more small islands to add and some lakes.

Next I will start with the mountains and rivers....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	morhaven_WIP_100112.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	20246  
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-14-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's an interesting looking archipelago - any history regarding the layout/shape of the island?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    It's an interesting looking archipelago - any history regarding the layout/shape of the island?
    I was thinking the two circular shapes should be the effect of either a giant meteor or an old volcano. Does the coastline look ok?

BTW what do you think of the name "Islands of Morhaven"?
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-13-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

The meteor/volcano idea crossed my mind as well.

I think the name is fine.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Morhaven, moor haven, haven in the moor (basic extrapolations of the name).
    A type of highland... could be meant ironically, that it is in fact an island chain that is subject to constant flooding, for instance. The haven part could either be taken from germanic, meaning harbour, or taken in the way as a sanctuary. If harbour would be its origin, it'd make sense for the islands, since they'd all need harbours. If the sanctuary meaning is intended, it emphasis the irony of the water being called a moor.

However, moor could also be interpreted (wrongly) as a marsh, which would imply the water in between the islands is shallow, and could have vegetation rising about the waves. It would be likely that the water would subside from this area at some point if they are marshes (else they'd be mangroves).
    This could present numerous places for the mythical and the fantastic to lay hidden, normally inaccessible. Which would explain the haven part.

As for the map itself, I like it =)
    The positioning and quantity of the islands allow for enough interaction between cultures, aswell as look natural (do note that I have no knowledge what makes it 'artificial' or 'natural'.. just the way I see it.. not based on anything else but my perception).
    Last edited by Imahilus; 01-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.

[WIP] Morhaven, is according to legends, some kind of strange harbour. It was to this harbour that the first sailor arrived when they found the islands (saved from a storm by some kind of light from the harbour). In this harbour lived some very strange dark creatures which called themselves Mor.

The harbour became very famous (and gave name to the archipelago) but the exact location is now lost in time and no-one has been there for many hundred years.
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-13-2010 at 06:30 PM.

Ok... here's a quick 'n dirty update: thinking about going down the "hand drawn feel"-path. PS.. just a rough scetch to test the "feel"... will remake most details (navigation "lines", mountains, towns etc)

Name:	morhaven_map_100113b.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	377.0 KB 
ID:	20274  
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-13-2010 at 08:47 PM.

I was pretty satisfied with the "simple" style. Now I'm still working with the mountains and have to finish the labeling.

Comments welcome.

Name:	morhaven_map_100113c.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	406.0 KB 
ID:	20275  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very stylish and slick. The compass doesn't seem to fit all that well, I mean it kind of does but it kind of doesn't. The hand-drawn mountains sort of clash with the realistic cut stone. It looks cool and I'd use it for my kind of stuff but I'm not so sure that it works for this stylized atlas look. It's early still so maybe if there are other elements to tie it together then maybe it'll be fine...like border, title, little cities, etc.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for your input Ascension. I tried to adjust the compass (which i have used for other maps before) but I guess I'll have to make a new for this map.

One of the reasons I like the "simplier" style for the overview map is that if I'll make a realistic style map it could be hard to repeat the exact geographical features when I make the detailed maps. Anyone who has any experience in this?

Now for a question #1: Would it be ok to use this map for the overview map and then another style (probably more "realistic" style) for the detailed maps? I'm thinking I want to do some sorts of complete downloadable modules.

Question #2: Any general input on the scale would be nice. It's nice to have space for further adventures but could it be too large?
    Last edited by Carnifex; 01-14-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast