Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making Not so Random Coastlines in GIMP - alternative method

I've gotten great results with this tutorial. But as a noob to map creation, what would you use this for? Would it then serve as a basis for your other tutorial "Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map"? Or are their other uses for this?

I am poor at spending the effort to draw little squiggles to make a nice looking coastline, so this was a way to make the program do the work for me

It is basically a basemap for anything you want - an artistic map, a diagram, whatever!

I did use a variation of the technique in the artistic map tutorial. I also used it to answer a request for blank maps that someone had asked.

-Rob A>

I can't get this working at all

EDIT: nevermind, it's just tricky getting it the first time
    Last edited by aeronox; 12-07-2007 at 10:58 PM.

aeronox -

If you questions with specific steps, or feel some sections need clarification, please post them (or pm them). I am trying to take any feedback before I compile the thing into a single file. This will have a bit more detail, have the formatting cleaned up, and (hopefully) have a few more examples of different styles/options at the different steps.

-Rob A>

The Threshold tool in Photoshop is under Image -> Adjustments (down the bottom)

The Render -> Clouds filter in Photoshop is too large, so I used GIMP to make one (I selected "Tileable" and filled it as a pattern, because I needed smaller details in a larger-res map)

A nice use for this method - increasing detail (the opposite of generalisation). So you have a low-res large-scale map, you can first apply the "Not-so-random" effect at that scale, then resize the image, blur a bit, and repeat. It can give you increasing levels of detail, much like the way real cartography works. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronox View Post
    A nice use for this method - increasing detail (the opposite of generalisation). So you have a low-res large-scale map, you can first apply the "Not-so-random" effect at that scale, then resize the image, blur a bit, and repeat. It can give you increasing levels of detail, much like the way real cartography works. It's not perfect, but it's close enough.
    Surprisingly, that is something I have been using this technique for, without mentioning it here! I find keeping the blur small and choosing the turbulent option in the gimp render clouds help maximize the randomization while keeping the overall shape reasonable accurate.

-Rob A>

First post here.

I tried to work this out in Photoshop and had no luck. In general, I would get too-smooth edges on my shape. Is this because the clouds aren't... rough enough (as you can't change them in PS)? I love this idea because of the success I've had with using clouds for general randomness. Suggestions?

Welcome to the Guild 117! Always glad to see new members. I believe you hit on the primary cause of your frustration. I'm trying to figure out a possible solution for the problem, but I'm not sure how soon that will be.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I downloaded GIMP solely to create the noise pattern.

Open GIMP
    Make a blank image something like 800x600
    Filter -> Cloud/noise it at maximum
    save it
    open it in Photoshop (the copy/paste seems to not work between the two programs)
    go to Edit -> Define Pattern...
    go back to your map
    set your blurred-map-shape layer to "Multiply"
    create a new layer underneath it
    now use the bucket, set to "Pattern", and fill. (i actually applied it as a Layer Style, so that I could adjust the pattern scale)
    Ctrl+U to adjust the lightness, bringing it up so that the darkest grey is around 25%.
    merge the two layers
    go to Edit->Adjustments->Threshold

it takes some trial-and-error, with the amount of blurr to your map-shape, the scale of the clouds, lightness of the clouds, and the threshold slider. just give it a few goes.

Wow Aeronox - Gimp is pretty heavy just to generate noise

Have you tried any third party plugins? I quickly found one called Clouds 2.2 half way down this page. It is an .8bf filter (works fine using the pspi plugin in Gimp) that has a few nice presets for clouds, and can generate very fine cloud turbulence.

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast