Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Indoor "Outhouses"

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Although, all this said, we are talking about Fantasy RPGs rather than real life medieval. Fantasy settings are basically a sanitised and idealised take on medieval / renaissance life. Disease, lack of sanitation, the sheer smelliness, the presence of fleas on virtually everyone and general lack of personal hygiene, the utterly back-breaking, hard life that rural peasants led, the almost universal lack of literacy and numeracy, the fact that it was not uncommon to step over the dead bodies of children in city streets in 18th Century London....the list goes on and on.

Years ago I pondered the same issue, vacillating on whether dungeons & buildings should have bathrooms/indoor outhouses. Ultimated I reached the same conclusion as Ravells- it's a game of fantasy, not a treatise on plumbing! It's like the Renaissance Festivals so popular now, an overly romanticised view of the times (hey, I love the Ren Fest, but was everyone back then really a Lord or Lady, and did they all have bad English accents?).

I would LOVE to go to a Ren fest. Must book a trip to America soon....we don't really have them here. ...oh and 'back then' (pre 1900s) received pronunciation (aka BBC English aka 'the posh accent') hadn't been invented. In fact the American accent is closer to how people spoke in the 1500s than RP is....and as an added bonus you still use words which are obsolete here, like 'gotten'.

Ravs--you can come stay at my house anytime, buddy. There's a ren fest in Detroit close by--and I can sure introduce you to some "interesting" people there. IN fact, I'll bet we can find some McFacts about European history you've never "gotten" in your own schooling...
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

We say "gotten"? I don't think that is even in my vocabulary. It is in the dictionary though. It just doesn't sound right to me. I wonder where he could have gotten that from?
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Loads of Americans I've met say 'gotten'! Trust me to find the only two who don't here!

Don, we could dress up as fifteenth century cartographers (I don't know why but I've always imagined fantasy Cartographers to dress like 16th Century Florentines), and run a ye olde mappe shoppe!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	machiavelli-1-sized.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.1 KB 
ID:	1225  

Hahaha. Sure--although I get to be the assistant, Igor. (Pron: Eye - gore)

"What hump?"
    --Marty Feldman
    Don
    My gallery is here

Default OT...very

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post

"What hump?"
    --Marty Feldman
    "You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump."
    Innkeeper at the Darkwood Inn. The Foul Punster of the Cartographers' Guild!

Better role playing than dragon slaying!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post

"What hump?"
    --Marty Feldman
    We'll need a Madam Blushtika as well!

(sound of horses neighing).

Hahaha--you know what's really funny? When my wife calls out to our horses they neigh like that--so I've called her Frau B for along while now
    Don
    My gallery is here

Er... That is Frau Blucher.

And before anyone mentions it, Blucher is not German for Glue. There are 3 different words for glue and none of them sound like blucher. The most common is Klebemittel.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast