Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying a new style map

Map Trying a new style map

Someone suggested this one based on a setting from a series of games. I wanted to try a completely different style to what I'd done before and also do something a little more light-hearted.

Not completely happy with it but I picked up quite a bit from doing it. Also all the labels are handwritten. I actually find that more convenient to do than mess around with fonts in photoshop. =P

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Quite cute...in a macho cool kind of way. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

That looks quite nice, well done

Very nice Larb. Did you create the symbols yourself?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yeah, I drew everything (I've been trying to avoid abusing layer styles too much, only used an outer glow on the road and an inner glow on the river).
    I did the outlines on one layer and coloured them in on another one underneath. Which will be why the angles won't match up perfectly.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like it, it's got a cartoon-y groove to it
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Applicant

nice work! It looks like a good story is in there somewhere!

Guild Apprentice rafaelrzacharias's Avatar

Nice job on this map. I like your style boy.. so far, so good! ^^
    I'm looking forward to see more! You have some neat skills
    I couldn't avoid to notice a hard asiatic influence, from the names to the bamboo forest thing and the shrine. Are you from somewhere in Asia?
    My favorite parts are: the river, the red shrine ^^ and the clouds you put on the mountains top. very nice!

congrats!
    Last edited by rafaelrzacharias; 01-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Oh, no, I'm as western as they come. =P The map is where a series of japanese games are based (some may know it, but that's why it has that kind of feel), but there is no official map for it, so I made one. I didn't create the world, just interpreted things already out there.

Oh, one other thing I tried to concentrate on was mainly solid colours. Usually I'm using low opacity brushes or pen pressure when colouring things, but I tried to avoid that this time round. You get a way different look. (Originally the forest was all various shades and stuff, but I didn't like it, so I just did a solid colour with a slight highlight on all the trees and I like it much more.)

Cold cold Russia, where bears walk on the streets.

Your symbols are excellent! Bravo!
    But map feels kinda...empty. Maybe you'll add some meaningless decorations? I think it would be nice.
    P.S. No other touhou fans here, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast