Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Asterix and Obelix Project

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I was wondering about the look you were going for - Asterix/Obelix didn't ring any bells (or I'm to old and deaf to hear them ).
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

We don't have them over here in the states so it didn't ring any bells for me either so I'm just watching.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

They are some of the funniest cartoons ever created. Highly recommended for all - and have jokes for both kids and adults. They're something of a British staple - even though they're really French.

Good start on the map. I'd suggest fading out to a much lighter sea colour. It gets to almost white in your example image. Also, the shadow on the coastline is only around the bottom edge. Your bevel has it along the right hand edge. By having a shadow along the bottom it lends a subtle nod towards an isometric view - which fits in with the slightly side on view of the buildings in the detail. Less shadow on the mountains too - a the moment the scale is very large on those.

Excellent idea to take this one on! Very much looking forward to seeing how it goes.

made some changes based on feedback.

- tried to make the mountain bevel less severe.
    - more fading of the ocean
    - less shadow on the mountain

** not sure how to accomplish the bevel TOR was talking about.

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Delos Color.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	20390  
    Last edited by Davros01; 01-17-2010 at 06:15 PM. Reason: forgot map
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Actually looking at the coast that looks fine.

Next step I'd say you should add some yellow into the plains - just a little, not a lot.

Added yellow per the latest suggestion. I think it looks fairly good, keep the comments coming. i'm having alot of fun with the ASTOB design.

Marc

Views:	91 
Size:	476.3 KB 
ID:	20408  

I'm not sure whether CC3 has a colour picker, but if not, here are the RGB values of the terrain which you might want to make into a pallette.

Best

Ravs

Name:	asterix.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	425.5 KB 
ID:	20411  

Ravells,

thanks for the great feedback. I have two versions. one which has the true to form version you provided minus the land color (233, 85, 83 - it comes out redish... i think its supposed to come out a yellowish color for the land) and one with my more bold look. The reason for my own look is that I'm red/green color blind and have trouble seeing the very close light green/light yellow. let me know which you like best. If the forum sees the true to form case best, i'll stick with it.

I did change the water color, and mountain colors to reflect the true colors you suggested tho

thx,
    marc

Name:	Delos Color 2.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	406.1 KB 
ID:	20412   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	101 
Size:	451.7 KB 
ID:	20413  
    Last edited by Davros01; 01-18-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: correction

Sorry, my typo: It should read: 234,231,81.

I think the tough part for you in using CC3 to try to duplicate the look is that the greens and yellows of the land are mixed up with each other down to the pixel level. Others who are CC3 experts may be able to help you achieve that look, but I suspect that it's going to be difficult to do. AFAIK (could well be wrong) CC is great at rendering flat colour but trying to get the effect of painted colours mixing in with each other is v. difficult with CC3.

cheers

Ravs

I prefer the less saturated version (though the green does need bumped up a bit - probably due to the change that Revells noted).

What software are you using for this map?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast