Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cities of the Torentine Empire

Wip Cities of the Torentine Empire

This is my WIP thread for the cities of Torentine that I will map for the atlas project. The first city in the works is the imperial capital, Torentine. I'm starting with this google-esque/atlas style similar to one i saw on another geofiction site because it is easy to read and can hold up with a lot of detail. I decided to go back and forth between this and the topography project for a change of pace. And if the shoreline looks familiar to anyone it's because the central/old city is based on Valletta, Malta. There is also some of the layout of Milano lain in.

The map is in a very early phase so I will be modifying the color palette and refining/modifying much of the data that has been migrated over from illustrator.... as well as creating my own icons for buildings and other data.

The capital will occupy an entire (left) page with cities of a smaller scale (less detail) on the opposite making a two page spread of the empire's cities.

The other two cities i created in illustrator but they will have to go through "the treatment" to bring the quality up to snuff for the atlas. On the right page there will likely be 1 or 2 more of the medium size and 5 or 6 even smaller cities on that same scale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TORENTINE_progress.jpg 
Views:	662 
Size:	4.50 MB 
ID:	20323   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VICTORIA_TYRE_CITY_MAP.png 
Views:	1194 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	20324   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMSYS_CITY_MAP.png 
Views:	584 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	20325  
    Last edited by a2area; 01-15-2010 at 08:00 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Well, my good sir, I think it is fairly obvious that when it comes to "realistic" maps (as in "useful" if it hadn't been for the fact they are of a fictitious world), you are the quite literally the "world champion".
    You continue to astound me with your professionalism and the amount of work that must seemingly go into your maps.

I only have a few small comments, and they are totally not relevant, but if you will:

The border outlines around on your city map seem a little too faded, so I'm having some trouble reading the rather bright pastel colors. I'd like to see the same kind of black border on everything as on that one road on the north shore of the central peninsula. That has a nice boldness to it.

On the same map, the jagged hills (I think that's what they are) have a slight MC Escher-feel to them. It like that thing, you can't see all six sides of a dice at once, if you know what I mean? Anyway...

Awesome work, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post

The border outlines around on your city map seem a little too faded, so I'm having some trouble reading the rather bright pastel colors. I'd like to see the same kind of black border on everything as on that one road on the north shore of the central peninsula. That has a nice boldness to it.

On the same map, the jagged hills (I think that's what they are) have a slight MC Escher-feel to them. It like that thing, you can't see all six sides of a dice at once, if you know what I mean? Anyway...

Awesome work, keep it up!
    thanks for the comments.. you will have to take this map as a.. placeholder if you will.. for all of the elements just pasted in from an illustrator version, esp. the old city stuff... the colors will be changing later (esp. that hideous camouflage) as i see appropriate. Kind of like the cells of an organism, all of the elements you see here will be replaced by the time the final is presented (0: There will be a ton of info overlaying what you see here so i will have to make that call on color later on. Depends on readability.

The "hills" you were talking of are actually earthworks for the fortifications of the old city which are still intact and protected by the government (0:
    They will also take on a different feel in the final... what look that will be i haven't decided yet. I want to go psuedo realism but i think that will detract from the informative detail.. we'll see..

i'll keep the thread updated occasionally to show the evolution of the maps.
    Last edited by a2area; 01-15-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected zhar2's Avatar

I still cannot believe your patience mate.

Quote Originally Posted by zhar2 View Post
    I still cannot believe your patience mate.
    if i don't think too far ahead about it i breeze along and crank stuff out but i've actually had a bit of mappers block for the past week...

when i start to think about choices and directions i can go in then how much work i have to get to a finished product i tend to first go into obsessive compulsive mode and second freeze up... then i just wind up watching netflix

happily i'm feeling the "block" start to fade though!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Master of the Atlas strikes again. Well done, mate.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

oh my, these are really great! I never worked with illustrator but this must be loads and loads of work indeed. Well, who cares with awesome results like this cheers

Map mini update

just experimenting with some looks.. i got the terrain and fortification of the central "old city" looking pretty good... put a little dimension in the buildings however i don't know if this will be the look i go with and the colors still have to be revised. Long way to go but it's progressing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 10.png 
Views:	239 
Size:	564.9 KB 
ID:	20403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 12.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	425.2 KB 
ID:	20405  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by a2area; 01-17-2010 at 10:29 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

I would love to see more maps of you. Have you been some, that past years?

Guild Adept

Outstanding works!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast