Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Artorder - the assassin devil

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Post Artorder - the assassin devil

I don't know how many of you follow the Artorder challenge run by the art director for 4E. I've been keeping an eye on it waiting for them to do a map challenge, but to no avail. Instead I finally got up the pluck to create an entry for the creature challenge - New Year and all that.

Here's my entry for this week's assassin devil (art brief here: http://artorder.blogspot.com/2010/01...hallenges.html)

I'd be very grateful for any C&C before I submit it on Sunday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jan13ArtorderFigWeb.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	20331

Praise

i dig it... the look and tone of it are great!

i wonder if the hand holding the sword would be larger, considering foreshortening...

also, something about the breasts don't sit quite right with me. i think because the pectoral muscle would extend from the shoulder, it looks like her right breast is too far to her left and that her underarm rib area is too large...

or something... i am not sure if that is the exact reason it looks slightly off...

also, it took me a moment to realize the black was a mask and not something strange with her face. I wonder if there is a way to bring it out a bit more?

Those critiques and comments are in no way meant to suggest I do not think you have a strong piece here. The shape, pose, subtle shading, most everything looks really good.

Good luck on the competition!

Phil

Yep, the chest has been bothering me too. Thanks for calling me on it - that suggests I have screwed something up so I'll work on it some more. Good note on the hand too.

Not sure how to emphasise the mask. I agree it doesn't necessarily read that well to start with. perhaps some straps holding it on would give the clue as to it's nature.

Blog Entries

Ahh I looked at the pic and then the thread. Boobs were my point too. It looks like a) she needs more of an uplifting corset to be more anatomically right and b) well okay shes not human but under breasts it falls to abdomen in an unusual way, sort of too rounded and not curvy S shaped enough. I like the armour a lot tho.

Edit -- I thought the mask was something odd about the half of her face too. It didn't occur to me that it was a mask actually given her strange life form (feet, cloak etc). I think Phil has it nailed, it looks like its flush with the face.

Edit2 -- I went to the site. Since the mask is part of the requirements for the image then its likely that the people viewing and judging it would inherently know that its supposed to be the mask. Maybe its not such a big deal.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-15-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Yep. I think you've nailed it. Her corset isn't giving her any lift. That'll teach me for doing the anatomy drawing and then just placing clothers over the top. Of course the corset changes her shape. Bugger. Will fix that tomorrow. Thanks a lot for pointing that out.

I had a lot of fun with the armour. First time I've drawn metal and I'm really pleased with how it came out.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I looked at the face first and said "ah, dudely devil" but when I saw the breasticles I said "wait, she's a man, baby, yeah". The foot has a bit of that weird anime big-footedness to it or whatever that style is with the big feet. I can't really make out if the proportions are right cuz the leg blends into the cloak. Since it's a lady devil you could get away with making the head a little bigger (I always draw ladies with slightly bigger heads and slender shoulders to enhance the petite-ness but I do comic book style, shrug) and that would fix the chestal area. And maybe a little long hair or something to suggest more of a feminine feral look...oh and bigger eyes and lips but not anime huge, comic-book big. You might also want to lighten the black around the body to accentuate her form. The style and techniques are good so no problem there, just some things on shape and form that come to my mind.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Nice piece over all.
    I think her head is too small. You can increase it quite a bit... allowing you to make the detail there a bit more obvious.

Pulling in the armor would help define her figure more.

Lastly add a lot of highlight to the sword and arm that is in the foreground.. much like the leg that is well lit, that will help it pop from the background that is her torso.

Good luck.
    I'll have to go check out the site..

looking pretty cool torstan! (also loved your city illustration btw, makes me wanne draw again). I'd do a dark background for more drama and add some more highlights to give it more depth as well (maybe using the same 2nd lightsource you used for the lower legplates), e.g. the sword could use some and also the knee and toes. still, as it is its already really nice. cheers

Torstan,

i checked out that Art Order site and subscribed... i would love to get picked up by Wizards of the Coast at some point... but likely need more practice and knowledge and such...

do you mind if I enter this contest as well?

and it looks like the deadline is the 24th... so i am not sure if you were shooting to get your piece done this Sunday, but you have a bit of time... a week i guess...

i hope your edits are going well...

phil

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I can't draw people worth a poop (never could) but I still like this (even with all of the mammary abnormalities the others covered).

I envy your talent Torstan.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast