Thread: [WIP] Dreodae

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Post [WIP] Dreodae

Alright, this is yet another work-in-progress in a line of projects it seems I can never get finished. This is a world in the same style as my Oruss Bustan-map,
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=8474, but I've been adding a little bit to the style and this map is much more comprehensive, bigger and has more detail. As you can see, it's far from finished, as I'm intending to finish all the forests/mountains/cities, plus add all kinds of superfluous junk, like an ornate legend and stamps and whatnot. Anyway, time for the criticism to commence:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP1.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	2.71 MB 
ID:	20333  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very interesting and different...pretty cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I like! The style you've got going is really cohesive, it all fits together very nicely.

Yeah, agreed with the others. Nice, different style. Hope you are able to finish the map.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like this style you've developed/are developing. Keep up the good work
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, here's where I've gotten to since last post. Slowly getting stuff filled in, pixel-pushing inch by pixel-pushing inch. I've included a scaled down version of the WIP because I like the blur effect it does. I'm thinking of doing a image resize as the final step once I get everything in. It's so much easier to work in full resolution and then just scale things down to remove all the little blemishes.

Name:	WIP2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	21148   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP2-v2.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.33 MB 
ID:	21149  

That's the way most illustration is done anyways - work big shrink down. I see what you mean about the soft blur on the smaller one. It's very subtle and I do like it better.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Had time to work a little more on the map.
    Added more stuff, adding some labels, tweaked a few things.

Still need to add a few more things, maybe some trade lanes, a legend that's probably gonna tell something relevant and whatever.

Let me know what you think. Does the snow work? I can't tell.

Name:	WIP3.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	21287  

I can't read that smaller text too easily and the snow doesn't grab me...but I don't have any better ideas either. Maybe tone it down a bit more towards white with blue shadows, shrug, I dunno.

I concur with others about the uniqueness of the map styling, and I find it particularity interesting how you've tackled the cities. The shape of the landmasses is also interesting, I'd like to see how it would fit into a larger world map.

Unfortunately the snow doesn't really grab me, it strikes me more as clouds...maybe try to make it look more fluffy and not have such a hard edge? I'd say the same thing for the desert texture as well. For the text I would say maybe try removing the stroke, right now it seems a bit blurred.

Overall I find this map and styling beautiful.