Thread: Little town

Post Little town

Thought I'd post it up here for comments. It's not done. I'm working on the water right now but am slightly unsure how to get the depth and the shore quite right. It's not too easy working in just various shades of grey imo and I'm pretty new at this. But please, some feedback would be awesome and perhaps some general advice. This is all done in gimp. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Town Map1.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	339.8 KB 
ID:	20382  
    Last edited by Jarlhen; 01-17-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In regards to the water...deeper parts are darker, but I'm sure you knew that. So what you can do is just draw some lines going from lighter around he coast to darker farther out then hit it with a big blur to blend it together. Then you can add a pattern overlay of waves or something like that.

As far as the city goes, it looks like you have the basics down so all you need to do now is vary things up so that it doesn't look too straight. Also vary the colors a bit.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

a bit dark for my taste, but looks neat.

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

The biggest issue I can see is that your roof's don't really obey "architecture". L-shaped buildings will have a 90-degree turn in the apex-line, rather than the sweeping curves yours have. It's a silly byproduct of using the gradient tool. On the same score... I don't know many people who live in triangular buildings...

The roads on the reverse, are almost too straight and don't either "disappear" or "pop"... they kind of "gloom" and with the amount of greys around, I'd be thinking that you need one of two things...

Are the PEOPLE supposed to be the scarey things of this town? If YES then light roads, dark buildings, middle-landscape.

Is the LAND supposed to be the scarey thing of this town (e.g. Ravenloft)? If YES then DARK roads, middle-landscape and lighter buildings.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm removing the triangle things as I go along here, freeing up some space and removing some weird formations. I really don't know how to make the houses follow the rules of architectry better, I'm just winging everything as I go along here Tinker with an updated version!

Might be worth widening the gaps between the buildings where they run along your main throughfaires, so that there's a bit of contrast in size between them and the gloomier back alleys. I don't know what scale you're using or what kind of feel you're going for, it's just the main roads seem a bit narrow.
    And maybe a couple of buildings that pop out from the surrounding city. A temple or palace or something might have a unique shape and a little more space around it.

Oh yeah, I also forgot, maybe a town square or central forum or something. It'd break up the city blocks a little.
    Last edited by Larb; 01-19-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: More!

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I reckon I've seen a great number of triangular buildings in my time. The Flatiron building in New York is probably the most famous example. The Met Building in Sydney that was used in The Matrix is another well known example. Isn't the top part of the Price Waterhouse Building in Sydney a triangle too. And loads of corner pubs taper to triangles.

Seriously though, Juggernaught has some good points regarding light and shade. And like Larb, I think your town definately would benefit from some open areas.
    Last edited by Aval Penworth; 02-10-2010 at 06:59 AM.