Thread: WIP Mandalor (medieval fantasy)

Map WIP Mandalor (medieval fantasy)

Here's a map for a campaign world in the works. In order to do some name dropping, star wars style, we created a militant city-state founded by stranded space travelers (you can guess what type) a few hundred or thousand years ago.

Using the custom shape pen is tedious to say the least when drawing thousands of buildings but it gives it a good feel. I was trying to duplicate the old Waterdeep style of map since it is so well suited for playing, rather than just being pretty.

Still got to add a few buildings here and there and put some dwellings and farms (what can be seen in the frame) outside the walls.

-KO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandalor 1000.jpg 
Views:	1798 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	20272  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That looks pretty cool so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I am digging it. can't wait to see how it develops

Just a few thoughts thought.

If I'm building a nice big city, and nice big walls... the last thing I want to trap the smells of are: Tanneries, Slaughterhouses, Furriers/Felters, Renderers and similar. I suspect that a lot of your "heavy industry" will be outside the walls... cause after making tallow from raw materials in a chemistry lab at uni (don't ask why...) THAT STUFF REEKS and soaks into your clothes.

Heavy Industry stinks, no nobility would own anything other than a stable in the Heavy Industry area... it will be slums within a nose-distance of a Tannery or Smokehouse.

Cities are terrible places to grow bulk food. I can understand the importance of having a large merchant district where importers/exporters pick off the best foodstuffs for sale abroad (leaving the common staples and other things to be sold through the commoners markets and the medium-to-high quality food for those with cash)... but I don't quite understand your "agricultural district"... I see agricultural district and think Farms. And Farms = Not City.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Expanded the area with the edge of the desert (ocean 1300 yrs ago) and farmlands. Still got to add communities (and industries) outside the walls and maybe some ruins of docks and structures at the edge of the desert.

Still debating whether or not to randomly color all the building shapes. Did a bit in a couple middle southern blocks.

-KO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandalore.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	556.5 KB 
ID:	20369  

i prefer the straight up white to the coloured buildings, but you may want to get some other opinions before deciding.

phil

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Locution's Avatar

I'm with Phil on the building colour and Juggernaught on the agricultural quarter. Otherwise its a great looking city.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For simple clarity white's better but I love me some colors.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

My thought on the agricultural quarter was more of a warehouse/processing section of the city, but that might be a bit big for such needs. I see the point but that amount of accuracy probably isn't necessary with our gamers.

Rather than redo anything, what other types of buildings could those be that fit the concept of that type of district?

-KO

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

You got your slaughterhouses, your smokehouses, salthouses (for curing hams), your tanners, your leatherworkers, saddlemakers, mills, bakeries, if you have flax you can use that for papermaking and clothes, sheepshearers, weavers, tapisters (make tapestries), dairy (milk, cheese, and butter), you can have spice merchants, vegetable stands, feather merchants, if you use the fat then you can have larders, fishmongers, all sorts of stuff. If you need some more then I can think up some more for ya
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps