Thread: A Small Port Town

Guild Novice

Post A Small Port Town

Here is a rough draft of a small port town I have been working on. Currently there are no structures on the map as I haven't finished fiddling with my land. The town will be located on and cover the peninsula with the harbour on it. The scale is 1:15,000 and the green patches are forest cover. It was made with ArcMap and CorelDraw.

Comments, criticism?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	town.bmp 
Views:	236 
Size:	7.58 MB 
ID:	20402  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks good to me. But I'm not adept at this style so I could be missing all sorts of things. I know enough to read the elevation lines and it all seems ok to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Bold your marked heights, and use a lossless compression file format. That thing is huge.

Wonder how it will turn out when you're done.

Kind of hard to say anything yet. you've got the elevation lines in, but little else. looks almost like a military map. I look forward to seeing it with stuff

Marc
    Visit my site for roleplaying at http://www.rpgrescue.com.

Guild Novice

Thanks so far. The style is just a standard topographic scheme, which is also used for military maps. It's not a final style yet, just clear and easy. I'm not quite happy with that island yet, particularly the northern shore of it. Any suggestions?

And sorry about the size! I'm too used to dealing with map data in the hundreds of megabytes!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

About all I can say about the island is that it sort of looks like Icarus flying with his head in the top left, outstretched arms on top right (foreshortened), feet at bottom. I see things like that, weird. Anyway, I might suggest pulling the "arms" back into the body and maybe stretch the" head" out and make it pointier. I really see nothing wrong with it but if you want to change then that's what I might do.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps