Thread: Map of the AD&D 2e Cosmology, v2.0

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

Default Map of the AD&D 2e Cosmology, v2.0

Hey guys!

About a year ago I made a map of the AD&D 2e cosmology, trying to put together planes, crystal spheres, world, pseudoplanes, etc, in a single chart, sticking exclusively to canonical AD&D 2e material (chiefly Planescape and Spelljammer, where most of the cosmology is presented, but also bits and pieces from smaller settings for further detail when necessary). It was a very basic chart, and it had some errors, as well as some oversights, and for a while I've been wanting to make a new version. So I've been toying around with a different style which adds both a bit more colour and a clearer presentation.

In order to make work easier, I'm currently drawing individual elements separate from each other, and once they are done I'll put them all together and draw the connections (such as phlogiston flows between crystal spheres, as well as transitive planes, coterminous connections, etc).

This is the original chart:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of the Multiverse.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	80572

And this are the parts so far, including the 18 inner planes, 51 crystal spheres (still missing the Astromundi Cluster and Nuspace, though), and 52 worlds without known crystal sphere location. Interestingly, this has allowed me to finally determine the extent of the AD&D Multiverse: 234 individual known worlds spread across 53 known crystal spheres, and all that contained within merely one of the 36 planes of existence (plus countless demiplanes floating away in the Ethereal).

Name:	Inner Planes.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	80573

Name:	Athas, Earth, Steel, Way, C'T, Glow, Dizan, Sazaur.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	953.5 KB 
ID:	80575

Name:	Casa, Ash, Blood, Mystara, Dragon, Great, Dark, Darnannon.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	80582

Name:	Dead, Elysak, Gray, Golot, Gorth, Hero, Kofu, Kraken.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	80584

Name:	Korv, Lost, Kreen, Lorp, True, Dik, Fungo.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	1,009.3 KB 
ID:	80585

Name:	Krynn, Realm, Faerie, Nex, Heart, Winter, Herd.png 
Views:	60 
ID:	80586

Name:	Lost, Morag, Passar, Path, Pheoite, Prime, Redeye, Refuge.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	914.0 KB 
ID:	80587

Name:	Pearls, Vista, Broken.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	794.7 KB 
ID:	80588

Name:	Salzar, Vodonika, Vodoni, Vergon, Zalani, Thaia, Shadow, Pirtel.png 
Views:	76 
ID:	80589
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Planetas Sueltos.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	190.0 KB 
ID:	80590  

Wow, clearly your knowledge of D&D settings is encyclopaedic. I remember you making the first map which in my mind is a legendary achievement, but this looks on track to be even more amazing. I saw the Dark Sun sphere you've got there, and I seem to recall that world having two suns, or perhaps it was only the cover art.

Great map. But unless you got it by another name, you forgot the Demiplane of Dread, home of the Ravenloft setting. I also believe that Cynosure, the meeting place of the gods of Toril, was also considered it's own demiplane.

Blog Entries

This is awesome! I Love it!

I had to momentarily put this project on hold while I finish a map for a friend's novel, but that's almost done, so I should be continuing this either this or next week, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Wow, clearly your knowledge of D&D settings is encyclopaedic. I remember you making the first map which in my mind is a legendary achievement, but this looks on track to be even more amazing. I saw the Dark Sun sphere you've got there, and I seem to recall that world having two suns, or perhaps it was only the cover art.
    Thanks! Sadly, every bit I've learned about D&D's cosmology has displaced another bit of useful information. I fear if I read about another plane I'll forget how to boil water or put on my socks.

As for Dark Sun: It only has one sun, but a lot of the art is indeed confusing. The logo looks like a big sun next to a small sun, but the second body is actually Athas itself. The rest of the art usually depics either the Dark Sun along one of the two moons, or the two moons which, due to their colour, can easily be confused as two suns!

Quote Originally Posted by Talondor View Post
    Great map. But unless you got it by another name, you forgot the Demiplane of Dread, home of the Ravenloft setting. I also believe that Cynosure, the meeting place of the gods of Toril, was also considered it's own demiplane.
    Thanks, Talondor!

Regarding Ravenloft: I'll be adding the demiplanes (which was one of the things missing in the first version of the map, prompting me to make a new one) next. Ravenloft, Wormscape, Moil, The Boundless, the Demiplane of Electromagnetism (yes, really, it's canonical), The Plane That Lives, and all those odd places floating away in the Deep Ethereal.

As for Cynosure, it is formally a plane in the alternative Great Tree cosmology of the Realms, but not part of the Great Wheel. The problem I have with including the Great Tree is that it is canonically not supposed to exist in the same reality as the Great Wheel, at least as far as AD&D 2e is concerned. In 3e the Plane of Shadows became a possible connection between alternating cosmologies, but it was mostly left for the DM to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by wthrasherb View Post
    This is awesome! I Love it!
    Much appreciated!

Hey guys!

Time to return to this project.

Got the Outer Planes done today; these are the various afterlifes of Dungeons & Dragons, from the impressive Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, where the souls of the good and lawful get to spend an eternity trying to better themselves while climbing ever higher, to the Infinite Layers of the Abyss, where chaos and evil give way to an endless number of hells that range wildly in nature (so much that there are rumours of some good places showing up in the Abyss by virtue of the randomness of the plane). In this cosmology, Outer Planes may have Layers, which are sort of sub-planes that may manifest either as completely separate realities that are tied together by their alignment (such as the case of Hades, which has three layers that, while connected through various metaphysical routes, are basically different planes) or as parts of the same whole (such as in the Nine Hells of Baator, where each layer is directly beneath the previous one, best exemplified by how the torturous city of Jangling Hither in the Third Hell of Minauros hangs from monumental chains supposedly anchored on the underbelly of the previous one, even though the bottom of Dis is so far away you can't actually see it).

I'm still debating on whether or not adding the courses of the rivers Styx and Oceanus, but since they touch on so many planar layers and not being sure how to represent that without looking odd, I'll leave them out for now until I figure a proper way.

Only remaining stuff should be the Demiplanes of the Deep Ethereal, and then it's time to start composing the actual map with all the different elements.

Name:	Outer Planes.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	6.01 MB 
ID:	85992
    Last edited by Klaus van der Kroft; 08-01-2016 at 08:38 PM.

Hello again!

Finally managed to finish this thing; ultimately decided to redraw the Inner Planes, as I wasn't able to pull the faux-3d style in a convincing manner. Instead I opted for a more sparse way of representing those planes, kind of trying to organise them as an arcane symbol of sorts.

In any case, here's the final version (unless you guys spot an error that needs fixing, of course!).

For the full-sized version, you can go here.

Name:	map_of_the_add_2e_multiverse_v2_0_by_cristian_andreu_small.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	86848

Wow, congrats dude!

Thanks, man! It was an enjoyable task from start to finish.