Thread: Photoshop - Combining Two Maps

Guild Novice

Default Photoshop - Combining Two Maps

Im using Adobe Photoshop and I would like to find a way to merge two of my maps that are continents, and put them together to sorta build a world map without having to re-draw the landscape for each one. Im sure I'll have to figure out the borders so they don't look all... obvious.

Anywho, if anyone has any advice on how to do this, that would be awesome. I'm still learning to use Photoshop, and kinda new to this site.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Post the two maps so that we can see the style and then proceed to help ya.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Novice

http://www.cartographersguild.com//a...chmentid=21143

That is the first map. The other one isn't finished yet, but... Part of the point is to find out if I can combine them before I put a ton of work into the second continent.

Well, my first thought is that if you have both with all of the layers then you can just go back and redo one. When both are done, save them as jpgs (as well as psds) and then create a new document that will fit both maps and then copy and paste them into the new document. You'll probably have a seam where the two maps meet in the ocean so use the Blur and Smudge tools to manipulate that seam. If you don't have them with full layers then combining them will require a lot of manipulation - blending, smudging, blurring, new pattern overlays and color overlays...in the end it would be easier to just redo one.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I combine stuff all of the time but then again i'm used to it. I clicked on the attachment above but there's nothing there. It really depends on the maps in question as to whether it's worth the effort.

Guild Novice

Well, I was hoping to avoid the seam, and yeah I kind figured this is what I was gonna have to do. I just figured one of you veterens of the mapper wars was going to have some trick to help me out with it. This works though.

Thanks!

are the maps very different?

Different enough as to be hair-pulling to fit them together. One is my atlas style and one is Tear's Saderan style. Colorwise they're close enough but I don't use patterns and we use way different mountains and forests n stuff.

Here's the proper link to his maps (but the second one seems to be missing now):

http://www.cartographersguild.com//s...7659#post97659

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

If I were undertaking this exercise, I'd likely redo one of the maps to match the style of the other one, then try stitching them together.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."