Thread: General Maptool Cartography Question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question General Maptool Cartography Question

Greetings all!

I'm a newbie DM in general, and I'm planning a 4th Edition campaign for some of my buddies and I using Maptool. I'm starting simple, with a prefab adventure "Rescue at Rivenroar". Although it has maps included with the adventure, as you can see, they have spoiler markers all over them. Now, I have Photoshop and could probably hide them decently, but I figure this is as good a time to learn mapping as any, and reproducing the adventure maps is probably a better tutorial than starting from scratch.

As I'm sure you all know, the drawing tools in Maptool are extremely basic, though this has largely been fine for my purposes. For encounters set inside a tavern, in a stretch of town, or in the dungeon itself, simply texturing tiles and scattering some prefab objects for flavor have sufficed. It's not impressive, but it sets up encounters well enough. For an outdoor map, however, even one as simple as the one attached, Maptool either lacks the tools to draw decent cliffs/elevation, or I've yet to find adequate tutorials on how to do so.

Since Maptool isn't generally discussed as cartography software here, I assume that most experienced cartographers use different software and import their maps into the VTT and align the grids? I'm not a skilled freehand artist, so I'm not certain if more robust software like Photoshop would be to my advantage (besides adding an occasional filter, adjusting resolutions, and the like).

Long story short, I suppose my question would be: can a decent (if not gorgeous) replica of the map below be built within Maptool itself? Or would I be better off using a different program and importing the results?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kruthik.JPG 
Views:	564 
Size:	138.5 KB 
ID:	21146