Thread: Ardin

Map Ardin

This is a hand drawn map I completed some time ago for use in a tabletop role playing game. While creating this map I decided that I wanted to use a cartoon-like style as it seemed more accessible and player friendly. Upon looking at the map, one may notice that the continent is sparsely populated with cities, a conscious choice I made in order to make the world feel more dangerous. Overall, creating this map was a wonderful learning experience and I think I did well for my first world map. I hope everyone enjoys this map and the work I put into it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ardin.png 
Views:	440 
Size:	2.14 MB 
ID:	21156  
    Last edited by boognish; 01-18-2010 at 11:58 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Quite a developed style there, very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

I like it. I like it a lot. The only problem I have is with the snow caps on some of the mountains. They look a little bit more like a shine effect, it makes the mountains look almost smooth and glass-like.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Great map. I love the colour choices - bold but well integrated. Congratulations on a lovely map!

I have to say, that naming scheme has me a bit all over the place - something dramatic must have happened to drop Cormyr to the north of Sembia

I agree with the others, nice style. Have some rep.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

The only problem I have is with the snow caps on some of the mountains. They look a little bit more like a shine effect, it makes the mountains look almost smooth and glass-like.
    Yeah, I totally see what you are talking about. I think you're referring to those lower mountain ranges, which were actually the first mountains I worked on in this map. After I found my stride the snow caps began to look a little more natural, but it's definitely something I can improve upon.

I have to say, that naming scheme has me a bit all over the place - something dramatic must have happened to drop Cormyr to the north of Sembia
    LOL I guess assuming people would not be familiar with the names was a little too much to hope for. I must admit, there is very little rhyme or reason for some of the naming conventions. Some of them were left of to the player for various reasons. I'm also not that familiar with the Forgotten Realms universe, so I just borrowed some of the names.

I appreciate the criticism, and hopefully in the future I will learn from some of my mistakes. I have to say, though, that I believed most people would criticize the map for the purple swamps. lol